• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I hope this never happens to you, I'm confused ...

19 posts in this topic

I received the TPG customary e-mail notification on the 12th of June stating that my package had been shipped via USPS Registered mail with Insurance and they gave me a very long global tracking number. I have checked that global tracking number on the USPS web site periodically, but each time the web page keeps stating that the package has only been electronically submitted and that an actual package has not been received from the shipper. OK -- fine. I call the TPG customer service this morning to re-confirm the tracking number and to what is the actual number of the registration on the package that was shipped. The TPG gives me the registration number and they also check with their shipping department who states the package was shipped on the 12th via registered w/ins USPS mail. Customer service said give it some more time -- to wait a few more days and get back with them.

I then went to my Post Office that delivers my mail. I have known all the postal clerks there for many years and they call me by my first name as soon as they see me come in. I speak to Jeff and he takes me to the back. He checks there safe but nothing. He then puts the registered number in the postal computer system and it pops out as an invalid number, does not exist! OK -- I call the TPG customer service again to reconfirm the registered number. Maybe I wrote it down wrong. As the person at the TPG says the number I have my cell phone on speaker mode so Jeff could over hear. It's the exact same number that I had written down -- and Jeff, the postal clerk again puts the number back into the computer and again -- it says invalid number, does not exist.

The person at the TPG says they will re-check with shipping and will call me back. OK I say -- I will await your call.

I get a call back from the TPG a couple hours later and they say all over again that the registration number they gave me is the correct, valid number and that the package was shipped on the 12th of June.

I know I'm not a rocket scientist but, it seems to me 2 + 2 is not adding up to 4 in this equation. I ask the TPG person if they also called their serving postal center to re-confirm what I'm telling them about the registered number not being valid. They state no, they didn't do that, but only state that if I have not received the package this coming Monday -- then to call them back and they would re-check again and possibly start a tracer/claim action.

Has this happened to you or any ideas of what the heck is going on here???

The TPG service is not NGC.

HERITAGE always sends me a tracking # when I purchase from them and it always says that the # may not get into the system for 3 or 4 days.Well they always get me the package before The # gets into the system. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This has thankfully never happened to me. However, I will assume that you are dealing with folks who have not had adequate training for all instances and that this is one instance where they have not bee trained well.

My gut feeling is that the package is still at the TPG and that "someone" put it "someplace" because "something" on the order appeared incorrect.

HERITAGE always sends me a tracking # when I purchase from them and it always says that the # may not get into the system for 3 or 4 days.Well they always get me the package before The # gets into the system. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I understand what your saying -- but a tracking number is a totally different number than the registered number. Simply put -- Jeff, the postal clerk is telling me that the USPS has NOT ever received the actual package. The TPG customer service lady is telling me they have SHIPPED it!

Obviously -- somebody is lying thru their teeth.

And I think I know who it is. I get the feeling probably a week or so I will get the package and the date on the package is NOT going to say 12 June!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that is the case -- and that does happen -- I will be calling that TPG and raising holy you know what!!!!!!!!!

The TPG customer service lady is telling me they have SHIPPED it! Obviously -- somebody is lying thru their teeth.

Unfortunate situation. The customer service rep is probably telling the truth as she knows it.

The TPG customer service lady is telling me they have SHIPPED it! Obviously -- somebody is lying thru their teeth.

Unfortunate situation. The customer service rep is probably telling the truth as she knows it.

Yes -- she may be telling me the truth of what she know -- but why is it that she or any in the shipping department wouldn't call their servicing USPS to confirm that the package was actually received????

Why couldn't she or the shipping person provide me with their receipt that shows USPS scanned the package and entered it into the system?

No -- they wont do that. I wonder why????

I expect better from PCGS --- but I guess I was WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Yes -- she may be telling me the truth of what she know -- but why is it that she or any in the shipping department wouldn't call their servicing USPS to confirm that the package was actually received????

Why couldn't she or the shipping person provide me with their receipt that shows USPS scanned the package and entered it into the system?

No -- they wont do that. I wonder why????

I expect better from PCGS --- but I guess I was WRONG!!!!!!!!!

I expect better from PCGS blush.gif

Complacency & laziness.

"Complacency & laziness."

IGWT -- I'm get what your saying -- and yes, that is sometimes the case.

However -- I really don't think it's complaceny & laziness. My guess is that somebody in shipping figured out that the package was NOT actually delivered. That's why I believe the PCGS lady could only tell me that wouldn't or couldn't check with USPS because that somebody knew they can't because they never delivered the package to USPS in the first place.

I hoping and praying that is actually what happened and that in a few days, week or so, the package shows up at my door. With probably a shipping date on the package that is not the 12th of June, but with a very recent date. Unless, and I hope this is NOT the situation, they have totally lost the package in shipping department.

I fully realize that also USPS has their share of screwing up. I have my horror stories with them as probably some of you have. But -- something is telling me that this one is not on USPS -- but PCGS.

edited to add: What's also bad about this is that these are NOT MY COINS!!!! I submitted these coins for another collector and they were submitted at the ANA Money Show in Atlanta April 7th. Granted, the coins are insured to the amount he wanted -- but I will NEVER, EVER, submit coins to a TPG for anybody else again in my life!!!!! Were talking around $20k!!!!

Personally, I wouldn't wait until Monday. Why can't you have your friend at the Post Office call their Post Office and put you on a conference call with the TPG? Ask to speak to the supervisor, and then the manager and on up the ladder until you've gotten satisfaction.

Chris

Personally, I wouldn't wait until Monday. Why can't you have your friend at the Post Office call their Post Office and put you on a conference call with the TPG? Ask to speak to the supervisor, and then the manager and on up the ladder until you've gotten satisfaction.

Chris

Good suggestion Chris -- I can do that tomorrow.

Oh -- if any of you are wondering -- did Billy post this on the PCGS forum across-the-street? Damn right I did! But over there the post is being treated like a "hot potato" -- and has already dropped to the second page quickly heading to the lower forty parking lot. There only one response to my post across-the-street as I write this, and that one reply is the OWNER OF THE COINS!

But then I figured that would happen. Scared of that four letter word --- HALL!!!

edited to add: Oh and this too -- this was the first time I have ever submitted anything to PCGS! Damn -- someone said you don't get a second chance to make a first impression, well, whoever said that is right!

NGC -- forgive me, I have sinned. But -- the owner of the coins wanted PCGS, so I do have an excuse. But never again ....

Hey everybody -- I'm OK, I just needed to vent. Heck, I knew I couldn't vent across-the-street because this was taboo. Don't touch, bad politics. Besides, this didn't have the usual informative post that they want over there, you know, the eBay bashing post, or the flaming some new member post, or the key-word spamming post, or the who got banned post, and then the who got banned post gets deleted post and everybody asking again why it got deleted post, on and on and on, etc, etc.

Everybody have a great evening ....

I've had the same thing happen to me the last few packages that have been shipped, and the coins always seem to show up even thought I get that same message when checking it online.

JJ

Something like this happened on my second (and very last ever) submission to NGC. I filled out the submission form using my office address (since I am never home during the week and my local post office is a complete zoo on the weekends). NGC addressed the package (which included a Civil War Battlefields set and some other moden commems) to my name but left off the name of my company. My company was a cheap one and did not pay to have anyone's name on the building directory other than the name of the owner. So the package bounced for incomplete address. I called NGC and told them and they insisted that they had addressed it correctly. They charged my card for a second shipment, and again, the package did not make it to me. However, on the second go-round, the post office (one of the BIG PO stations in New York City) was on the alert, and the registry supervisor (to whom I had given my business card) called me to come get the misaddressed package. Which was addressed to my name, no mention of the company. No refund from NGC for either set of shipping charges. What was remarkable, however, was that the USPS supervisor had a digital photograph on his hard drive of the first package, which had bounced for incomplete address, and that picture confirmed that the first package, like the second one, had been addressed without mention of my company name.

So, the lesson is, do not trust NGC to address your packages correctly. Both of these packages somehow dropped out of the registry system: neither one was trackable until it had bounced due to the incomplete address.

If a coin is not valuable enough to do a walk-thru, I would not bother with having NGC slab it. They are simply incompetent.

If a coin is not valuable enough to do a walk-thru, I would not bother with having NGC slab it. They are simply incompetent.

I'm sorry, but this assertion is simply ridiculous. I've submitted well over a hundred coins to NGC in the course of four years and have never experienced anything even remotely close to incompetence. Everyone makes mistakes, including the people at NGC. In my experience, the folks at NGC are friendly and more than happy to try to make things right.

You had a bad incident early on. Okay. But while I believe NGC should have reimbursed you for the duplicate postage charge and perhaps thrown in a free grading coupon for your inconvenience, it's hardly credible to level such a blanket indictment given the scope of your submission activity as compared to the scale of NGC's operation.

Beijim

I'm sorry, but this assertion is simply ridiculous. I've submitted well over a hundred coins to NGC in the course of four years and have never experienced anything even remotely close to incompetence. Everyone makes mistakes, including the people at NGC. In my experience, the folks at NGC are friendly and more than happy to try to make things right.

You had a bad incident early on. Okay. But while I believe NGC should have reimbursed you for the duplicate postage charge and perhaps thrown in a free grading coupon for your inconvenience, it's hardly credible to level such a blanket indictment given the scope of your submission activity as compared to the scale of NGC's operation.

Beijim

I agree and I do not totally place a blanket blame on the entire PCGS organization. I'm frustrated because it comes across to me that their customer service doesn't want to help in finding out where is my package in the system. This was my first time with PCGS and it was for another collector. I only have NGC and ANACS (old ANACS) in my personal collection. But with this bad taste in my mouth, I think it will be quite a while before I submit any of my personal coins to any TPG.

I do have a question. The coins were submitted at the ANA show at the PCGS table on Apr 7th. Another collector contacted me who submitted his coins three weeks after the ANA show -- but he mailed his coins to PCGS. His and my submission at the table were both under the economy rates. This other collector who had mailed his to PCGS -- already has his grades and he has his coins back long before PCGS sent me the e-mail notice saying my package had been shipped on the 12th.

Since this other collector and mine were both submitted as economy rates (and he submitted three weeks after me) -- why did this other collector already get his coins graded and returned to him and I'm out in limbo land?

Is this normal procedure? Status quo? I thought it went back when submitted for that particular type of rate. I'm really confused on all this.

What you are witnessing with Economy tier submission is normal, I believe. There is not a strict first-come, first-served philosophy at PCGS with this submission service. Therefore, the task completion times can vary wildly.

Got the coins back today. Took 3 weeks to the day but I am glad I got them. I have already shipped them to the owner registered with tons of insurance.

This guy found 15 of these in ONE BU ROLL that he got dirt cheap off an eBay auction. Almost half the roll was the 1949-D over S major OMM also listed in CPG Guide as FS-032.

Here's just one of them. This one should be around the $1200 to $1400 range! Talk about making a killing!!!!

This proves once again majors are out there waiting to be found.

1949dpcgsholder.jpg