• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IHC's

15 posts in this topic

Can someone help me with these? I'm doing this for a friend. What do you think these would grade? Sorry about the blurry photos. I forgot to turn off the ceiling fan.

1287025-IMG_0669.JPG1287025-IMG_0670.JPG

1287025-IMG_0671.JPG1287025-IMG_0672.JPG

Chris

1287025-IMG_0672.JPG.e701787a392d1f9f7b06662173d030a0.JPG

I might venture an F15 and a VF20, respectively. James may chime in, and he knows these pieces well.

Hoot

I might venture an F15 and a VF20, respectively. James may chime in, and he knows these pieces well.

Hoot

I was under the impression you needed Full Liberty for VF20

I would guess VG-8 and VG-10 respectively, but perhaps the blurring makes them appear a half-grade lower than they really are?

These are the kinds of coins frequently offered as "Fine", and it's no coincidence that there's only an incremental change in value between the two grades.

James

I had the impression that the full LIBERTY might be legible on these coins but that Chris's "fan" had blurred the images to the point that it was not visible in the pic. Also, the lighting appears straight on, which would make the coins seem flatter than they are, so I was giving a benefit of doubt. I suppose in-hand would be the only true way to tell... confused-smiley-013.gif

Hoot

I had the impression that the full LIBERTY might be legible on these coins but that Chris's "fan" had blurred the images to the point that it was not visible in the pic. Also, the lighting appears straight on, which would make the coins seem flatter than they are, so I was giving a benefit of doubt. I suppose in-hand would be the only true way to tell... confused-smiley-013.gif

Hoot

Mark, neither coin has full LIBERTY, but it is more legible on the '09-S. The lighting is at a 30 degree angle about 5' above the coin. Here are a couple more photos, sans the fan, with a slightly different lighting angle. Unfortunately, I'm limited by the fact that the light fixture is in a fixed position and the table is 10' long and not easily moved.

The close-up isn't too good either. I'm just going to have to get some better lighting.

1287742-IMG_0675.JPG1287742-IMG_0676.JPG

Chris

1287742-IMG_0676.JPG.1458bc0576b825f7a3d37a9bdf599780.JPG

Regaurdless of the garde both of these are s till nice key dates. Upon doing a bit more searching on these coins vs slabs. I agree with James.

I've always respected James' opinion as well as Mark's. You'll find no arguments from me. Probably the next one I will post is a well-worn 1877.

Chris

Cool Chris! Are these part of an album collection or will these be graded?

I've long thought a nice album collection of circulated IHCs would be fun.

Hoot

I would guess VG-8 and VG-10 respectively, but perhaps the blurring makes them appear a half-grade lower than they really are?

These are the kinds of coins frequently offered as "Fine", and it's no coincidence that there's only an incremental change in value between the two grades.

James

Couldn't agree with you more.

They are nice coins, just not Fine or Very Fine.

Cool Chris! Are these part of an album collection or will these be graded?

I've long thought a nice album collection of circulated IHCs would be fun.

Hoot

These belong to a friend of mine. He has had them since boyhood and when he asked me to research them, they were in tubes. There are 279 pieces, 14 of which are damaged, and there are 45 different dates from 1859-1909. There are many multiples for the dates from 1889-1908. Judging from a quick review of the CV Grading Tips (Oct. 2004), most will probably grade G/VG, but I haven't really examined them too closely yet. Some of them could use a bath, but that is one area I won't go near.

I almost missed the 1877 because I was sorting them by year without my glasses and I mistook it for an 1897.

1288102-IMG_0679.JPG1288102-IMG_0678.JPG

John wants to sell them, but he doesn't care if they are sold as a group or not. I'm just trying to do some of the background work for him.

Thanks, guys, for the help!

Chris

1288102-IMG_0678.JPG.151fc3c7693a84c0af46aebcf35f295f.JPG

I'm going to say AG3. The lack of rim on the obverse from about 10 to 3 knocks it out of Good in my mind. Still looks like a nice orignal key date with honest wear.

JJ