• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2006 American Buffalo Gold Proof

76 posts in this topic

With the Mint still selling the Buffalo Gold Proof for $800 each + $4.95 S/H per shipment, why are people on eBay paying over $900 for an ungraded proof? The only obvious thing that I don't understand is why didn't I get 10, sell 9 and have my remaining coin for free?. Not to mention the opportunity to sift through the 10 to pick the best for myself?

What the heck, I'm just a youngster experience wise, so maybe I'm totally missing the obvious.

Brucec -- aren't you glad you are on the board and were able to get the warnings about shipping notifications, credit card charges and actual delivery? I can't help but wonder how many packages got returned to the Mint or worse yet "removed" from front porches.

stooges.gifacclaim.gifstooges.gif

With the Mint still selling the Buffalo Gold Proof for $800 each + $4.95 S/H per shipment, why are people on eBay paying over $900 for an ungraded proof? The only obvious thing that I don't understand is why didn't I get 10, sell 9 and have my remaining coin for free?. Not to mention the opportunity to sift through the 10 to pick the best for myself?

What the heck, I'm just a youngster experience wise, so maybe I'm totally missing the obvious.

Brucec -- aren't you glad you are on the board and were able to get the warnings about shipping notifications, credit card charges and actual delivery? I can't help but wonder how many packages got returned to the Mint or worse yet "removed" from front porches.

You know if I had $8.000.00 to work with ,That is exactly what I would do. thumbsup2.gif

You know if I had $8.000.00 to work with ,That is exactly what I would do. thumbsup2.gif

Same here. But I'm saving up for a new computer in a year, and so I've limited my monthly coin budget to $100 (though I did just spend $130 on an MS-63/64 Peace dollar). I just keep reminding myself that I don't even like the Buffalo nickel design, and that I'm not collecting for the money but for what appeals to me. But that doesn't always cure the cravings. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well that is why I bought five of them I plan to sell three or even four on ebay later after they are sold out and hope to pay for the one or two I bought that way.

Or maybe get some of the 1999 Silver Proof sets I am missing but hate to pay that high price for as I feel they will lose value in years to come at that price but need them to complete the five sets I have collected.

I still do not understand why when you get small items from the mint they notify you right away and you know when it was shipped and about when to get it.

That is always shipped US MAIL but the gold coins came FedEx so must be the difference in that shipping method.

I still do not understand why when you get small items from the mint they notify you right away and you know when it was shipped and about when to get it.

That is always shipped US MAIL but the gold coins came FedEx so must be the difference in that shipping method.

My understanding that if you ship with their standard delivery, it's sent via US Mail. But, if you get the expedited delivery, which comes automatically if your order is over $300 (as with these Buffalo coins), then it ships FedEx.

My understanding that if you ship with their standard delivery, it's sent via US Mail. But, if you get the expedited delivery, which comes automatically if your order is over $300 (as with these Buffalo coins), then it ships FedEx.

This is correct. You also receive expedited shipping at the regular shipping rate if your order contains any gold or platinum coins. Here's the relevant U.S. Mint web page.

Beijim

Is there any reason why the Buffalo Gold Proof goes for $800 at The Mint? While the graded 69s go for around $700. Also, what does MS mean?

Thanks in advance.

MS means mint state, these coins sell for gold spot plus a sellers premium and have no limit on production, the ones from the mint are proof coins and are limited to 300,000. Since these coins will never go into circulation most will grade 69 or 70.

Happy Hunting gossip.gif

1312504-IMG_0135.JPG.8f302f60302572828d900264fa86105e.JPG

I can state with full confidence that the proof issue will not loose value. Once it is sold out then look for the price to be at least $1000.

893whatthe.gif 300,000 is a lot to sell at $800 each. They may never reach near sell out.

I definitely think that the after market price will go up. Plus, there will be demand on this first year of issue.

Actually, in first year of issue has not been good for many of the modern mint products.

If they don't sell out, what will the mint do with the left over, melt them down? Sell them until they are depleted? I didn't see to many Gold Buff at the Baltimore Coin show on Saturday, there were more MS then PR. One dealer had about 15 - 20 MS with only 3 - 4 PR. Can the mint keep producing so many varieties of coins, year after year, without saturating the market and over extending the dealers / collectors?

The mint doesn't make 300,000 and melt the unsold ones. They might make 100,000 and see how the sales are and then mint more if needed. They'll melt any left overs.

I am a amatuer coin collector who maxed out on purchasing proof pieces and heres why

(besides all the technical reasons)

- A beautiful coin

- America's facination with the buffaloes.

I remember how fast the silver version went when it was released. The changing of the gold ship dates probably means there ramping up the machines to stamp out coins because the backorders are outstripping supply.Here in upstate NY we hardly see the new buffalo nickels. The same for the Kansas quarters. That why next month I'll be buying the North Dakota quarter Bags!!!!

- Buying from the US Mint.

I have never owned a gold coin!!!

For me, buying from the mint makes me confident I will receive exactly what I am purchasing. Whizzing of old gold coins, to an untrained eye is too difficult for me. Besides what coin could compare to this one.

-value

I noticed on the mint they sold out of the American eagle proof dollars

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/sto...tegory_rn=10118

for $885 an oz with 22kts.

nice but boring coin.

The buffalo will hold its value rgardless what spot gold does. If they melt the unsold

all the better. Its a win-win situation. Still a very expensive investment. but 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yea I guess its funny tubby!!!

but lucky for me I placed my orders by twos.

So I was able to cancel half of them.

four minus one i had sold

When I'm dead and gone and the kids are digging thru my [embarrassing lack of self control]

and find my gold trinkets

Maybe then I will be justified

until then

It still looks better than that gaudy morgan silver dollar on your icon!!

Look I can buy 4990 more coins!

Maybe there not selling as well as was anticipated.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/sto...tegory_rn=12238

27_laughing.gif

Well, I guess that I was way off base with this one. I thought for sure that it would have a stronger response.

I just perused the mint's items for sale and was somewhat perturbed (to put it nicely) to find the 2005 silver proof sets and Bison and Ocean in View bags still for sale. This is unreasonable and based in greed alone on the mint's part. Kind of bones us who bought bags for investment reasons. mad.gif

Do either of these BU or Proof coins have an actual 'W' mint mark on them? All I see is an 'F' .. which I presume stands for 'Fraser', the designer. Correct me if I am mistakent. Thanks