• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clearing dust off proof coins

21 posts in this topic

Here is a photo of a panda proof with dust on it. How do I 'safely' get the dust off without risking any mark? Excuse reflection of the camera, please (I'll work on that).

panda-91.jpg

Get a can of air.You know like you use to blow the dust out of your computer.

And dont spray from too close. Start spraying the air from far away and move it toward the coin just close enough to blow the dust away. You could wind up with nasty stains from the compressed gas if it comes out liquified.

Sweet coin!

May I make a slightly different suggestion?

That compressed air in a can ISN’T air (O2) it’s actually a different sort

of propellant. I have no idea what it is. I’m not saying Macro is wrong

for suggesting it, but I would find someone with an air compressor if it

were me.

Hays

were me.

Hays

Bad idea

Do not use an air compressor.

1. To hard to regulate the pressure to a very ultra low pressure.

2. Any contaminates in the air line could dislodge and mark your coin

3. Believe me. I almost ruined a penny doing so.

4. Could blow out of your control while applying pressure

5. To much volume or to much pressure can instantly spot or discolor

Edited to add: Assuming you are referring to your average garage air compressor. Only under controlled and carefully thought out conditions with the correct filtering and pressure should one use an air compressor.

were me.

Hays

Bad idea

Do not use an air compressor.

1. To hard to regulate the pressure to a very ultra low pressure.

2. Any contaminates in the air line could dislodge and mark your coin

3. Believe me. I almost ruined a penny doing so.

4. Could blow out of your control while applying pressure

5. To much volume or to much pressure can instantly spot or discolor

YIKES!!!!

REGIS DON'T USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR!

Would you use the canned stuff then?

Hays

I think they have spray can (some kind of air blast) for camera lenses. I'll get one of those unless there is something more specific that someone can share.

tx,

Regis

Regis just wanted to say thats a smokin photo on that coin! The coin I sent you should be in any day now! Good Luck! On a side note, I am not responsable for personal injury do you banging your head against the wall while trying to photo the coin I sent.

Regis just wanted to say thats a smokin photo on that coin! The coin I sent you should be in any day now! Good Luck! On a side note, I am not responsable for personal injury do you banging your head against the wall while trying to photo the coin I sent.

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

When using canned air, hold the can upright and spray. If you angle the coin away from vertical you are more apt to get liquid. Hold the coin up and spray rather than spraying down on the coin. That's my experience.

When using canned air, hold the can upright and spray. If you angle the coin away from vertical you are more apt to get liquid. Hold the coin up and spray rather than spraying down on the coin. That's my experience.

One more thing about air compressers.They create mucho moister and unless you have a water seperator it Will get on your coin.As well as any oil in the tank.

The compressed gas in an aerosol can like “Dust-Off” or the Gas Duster I buy at OfficeMax is difluoroethane , in the old days the same products were filled with Freon.

After it became known that Freon like other chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are one of the chemicals mainly responsible for ozone depletion the switch was made it less damaging chemicals like difluoroethane.

I have used the stuff for years on both coins and in a dark room and have had no problems with it. I always try to keep to can upright to tip to a 45 degree angle when blowing something off, this keeps the gas from coming out as a liquid which is very cold, at least -30C, this would be bad to get on your coins or skin for that matter. 893whatthe.gif

Also try a test spray over nothing to make sure the can is working properly and not spitting out any liquid before dusting anything off. thumbsup2.gif

A quick search of the web yielded these facts:

Difluoroethane, also known as R-152A, is a chemical compound composed of carbon, hydrogen, and fluorine. Its molecular formula is C2H4F2.

At standard temperature and pressure, it is a colorless gas. It is classified as a homogenated aliphatic. It is used for refrigeration (but is being phased out) and as an aerosol propellant. It is most commonly found in electronic cleaning products, and many consumer aerosol products that must meet stringent VOC requirements, but has recently been abused by children inhaling the substance and causing brain damage, e.g Dust-Off

An old story: 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Years ago when I had a darkroom, cans of Dust-Off at the camera store were $7 or $8, to beat that high cost you could go to the auto supply store to get cans of Freon sold at $2 or $3 each. The cans were just the same except for the labeling, you still had to buy the trigger & nozzle assembly from the camera store, but it fit and worked the cheaper cans in the exact same way.

I always thought it funny that a retailer could charge so much for the same product by just changing the label and marketing it to people who use it in an expensive hobby like photography as opposed to what a competitive market like auto maintenance and repair. Granted a lot more would be used in cars, but triple the price?? confused-smiley-013.gif

I routinely use canned air on every coin I put into a holder. In fact, I bought a case of 24 cans a few years ago, and am still using them. There is one very important thing to remember: always spray the air with the can held perfectly upright. Otherwise, the propellant may indeed liquefy and spot the coin. Worse yet, you could spray the liquefied air onto your hand and cause frostbite.

I've been using it for years with zero problems.

James

I'll have to admit that I have never tried this, but it is just a thought. Why couldn't you take an empty pump hairspray bottle, clean & dry it thoroughly, and put a few small holes in the bottom of the bottle to permit a continuous flow of air. No need to worry about any active ingredients or high pressure harming the coin.

Chris

^^^ Don't even think of using a brush.

I used canned air all the time, and it works just fine. Like people said though, just keep the bottle upright.

Although the air compressor idea has been pretty well shot down, here's yet another reason not to use it. I don't know where you live, but in the south the humidity causes a certain amount of water to accumulate in the tank of an air compressor. This causes rust, and when blowing air out you get rust and water. Bad idea on a coin.

Having used air compressors a lot and considered the condensation and pressure regulation issues, and having looked into canned air enough to discover the can doesn't dispense air but rather liquefied gas, I elected to purchase a photographic negative cleaner squeeze bulb.

You can get these at any competent photographic supply store. They work perfectly, dispense atmospheric air at moderate pressure and volume totally under your control, and never need to be recharged. Sometimes low tech is the best tech. Highly recommended.

Beijim