• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT coins in change from purchase - everytime I shop at this place!

27 posts in this topic

So, there is a collectible place along the highway that I pass on the way home from work. Among other things they sell coins and coin collecting items. All the coins are priced at or above (in some cases significantly above) the PCGS price guide suggested values. Needless to say, I dont buy coins from this place. I have seen some nice Morgans in the display case, but the prices they ask are not even realistic. Additionally, I have heard that the guy that runs the place is shady and not to trust the merchandise. (just today I was in there and he had a customer in there irate and complaining about a recent purchase) Still, when I need flips, tubes, album stuff, etc...its an easy place to stop and shop. So, I am in there a while back picking up 2x2's...I get my change, and the lincoln cents are all purple / rainbow toned. They were 1968 cents, prob XF-AU. I didnt think much of it other than that they were probably some experiment the owner was playing with and then tossed the coins into the register.

Then, on another trip....same basic thing...I buy some cheap thing....an album page or something, and in my change are these crazy purple cents....60's and 70's common dates, decent grades, but very AT...glowing purple rainbow...like when you see gasoline in water on a sunny day.

I stopped in again to pick up some tubes....should I have expected anything different? Nope...more dayglo pennies! Now keep in mind, this is spread out over a few months....plenty of time to dispense with some experimental coins. My guess, the guy is actively toning his merchandise on a regular basis. I have heard him telling other customers in the store how many people prefer tone and pay a premium for it, then he shows them some slabbed 'rainbow' Morgan.

So, here is my question....if a dealer is a complete crook, and this fact is obvious to even an intermediate like me...who exactly does this guy target for his customer market? An experienced coin collector would never buy at this place. Anyone that knows where to get accurate market rates on coins wouldn't shop here. So...who buys this stuff? Scary what I find when looking for coins. Too much dishonesty to buy anything on faith. Oh well.....Caveat Empor I suppose.

Dude,Knowledge is king.People like him are too lazy to make an honest buck.

People like him are ripe for cherry picking.Does he have sets? If so There are tons of modern sets you should look at for varieties and types.

People like him are ripe for cherry picking.Does he have sets? If so There are tons of modern sets you should look at for varieties and types.

Would you explain "cherry picking" in the context you used?

People say it like it’s a bad thing. I obviously don’t understand it’s

meaning.

Didn’t mean to derail the thread. I think you’ve got proof positive not to trust

this guy. I wouldn’t even support him with the supply purchases – get them

online.

Hays

Would you explain "cherry picking" in the context you used?

People say it like it’s a bad thing. I obviously don’t understand it’s

meaning.

Didn’t mean to derail the thread. I think you’ve got proof positive not to trust

this guy. I wouldn’t even support him with the supply purchases – get them

online.

Hays

Cherry pickin is NEVER a bad thing.

It's the accumulation of knowledge and using it to your advantage.

Just be a gentleman (or woman) about it.

I understand I may get flamed for saying it but I have a firm belief that cherry picking is a BIG part of collecting coins.

I bet most people here have a cherrypickers guide.

I understand I may get flamed for saying it but I have a firm belief that cherry picking is a BIG part of collecting coins.

Ok now you've lost me - what's a cherrypickers guide?

Hays

Again, I'm sorry for the derail.

Ok now you've lost me - what's a cherrypickers guide?

Hays

Again, I'm sorry for the derail.

The cherry pickers guide to coins

Cherrypicking is a good thing, no matter what some people say. If you spend all that time studying, you deserve to have a leg up on the competition.

And I agree, Macro, you should definitely buy supplies online rather than supporting this guy, even if it is less convenient. Take a stand, and people like this only listen with their wallets.

I know of another shop actually right by my workplace...I will probably start hitting that place at lunchtime. He is a straight shooter and runs a good shop. Very knowledgable and was very fair to me when handling some coins I sent out to NCS a while back. Time to stop in and see what he has in the case.

I would love to have the opportunity to find something in the AT king's case that he doesnt realize the value of. I cant see going back into that shop again anytime soon though.

Hays cherry picking a mans coins is a great thing. Cherry Picking is when your knowledge exceeds the sellers or for that matter any other buyers. He got what he wanted for his coin, and you got a great deal.

2 coins I cherry picked recently

1921.jpg

1934lm.jpg

First coin was cherry picked due to its strike. Rare with a strike like that. Not to mention the color.

2nd Was not listed as a light motto. Makes for a sweet buy.

Did someone mention cherrypicking? insane.gif'

I know what you mean about dealers like this,but like MAULEMALL said,they are often ripe for the picking. It's always nice to "rip" off the rippers..

Hays cherry picking a mans coins is a great thing. Cherry Picking is when your knowledge exceeds the sellers or for that matter any other buyers. He got what he wanted for his coin, and you got a great deal.

2 coins I cherry picked recently

1921.jpg

1934lm.jpg

First coin was cherry picked due to its strike. Rare with a strike like that. Not to mention the color.

2nd Was not listed as a light motto. Makes for a sweet buy.

Ok spell it out for me – I’m a little slow.

Here is my definition, as I know it.

Cherry picking – to purchase an undervalued coin from a person that

doesn’t realize it’s true value

Is that correct?

I can see how it would be fine to do that with a dealer or even another

collector – they are supposed to know what they are doing. But what if it’s

a non-collector? What if it’s a little old lady selling off her dead husband’s

coins? I would like to say that I wouldn’t do it BUT…

I can see why it is sometimes used in a bad way. I guess I answered my

own question. But please correct me if I got the definition wrong.

BTW, I love that light motto – saw it when you got it.

BUT HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL – look at the strike on that Peace dollar!

It’s really a good looking coin when you can see the details, most of

them look “mushy’ to me.

Hays

Ripping someone off is when you do this to an otherwise uneducated person looking for help; cherrypicking is when you do this to someone who claims to have some knowledge in the arena and is offering a coin at a firm sale.

Ripping someone off is when you do this to an otherwise uneducated person looking for help; cherrypicking is when you do this to someone who claims to have some knowledge in the arena and is offering a coin at a firm sale.

OUCH! I guess I had that coming.

Hays

Hays, the only way to get better at this game is to keep asking questions. I ask questions all the time myself. You seem to be ahead of the curve as far as time with coins go. I wish this place had been around when I got into coins many years ago. Well 16 years ago. Could have saved me some growing pains.

Hays, the only way to get better at this game is to keep asking questions. I ask questions all the time myself. You seem to be ahead of the curve as far as time with coins go. I wish this place had been around when I got into coins many years ago. Well 16 years ago. Could have saved me some growing pains.

Thanks Bruce, I do ask questions and I will continue to do so – even when I

stick my foot firmly in my mouth like I just did. I think I have a pretty good

handle on which guys to listen to around here – I’m sure you know that you

and TomB are in my top five. I follow your posts like a puppy follows a

kid – and I appreciate candid frank remarks.

Hays

Hey Hays,I didn't put that Chery pickers link to suggest you buy it.I was just using that as a refrence.I personally would first go to a local Library and see what they might have there.

Then I would check around for a local coin club. Sometimes you can get a discount from a member.

I'mkinda surprised I didn't get One Flame. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey Hays,I didn't put that Chery pickers link to suggest you buy it.I was just using that as a refrence.I personally would first go to a local Library and see what they might have there.

Then I would check around for a local coin club. Sometimes you can get a discount from a member.

I'mkinda surprised I didn't get One Flame. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why would you get Flamed? confused-smiley-013.gif

Did you write the book? If so, nothing is wrong with a little

self-promotion – otherwise you were just offering clarification

on a question that I asked. No harm - no foul.

As you can see, everyone is on board with cherry picking!

Hays

On the PCGS boards there are some folks quick to flame most anything that they believe is not proper, regardless of the intent. This is likely where the assumption of a flame came from, but it is just my guess.

Thanks Bruce, I do ask questions and I will continue to do so – even when I

stick my foot firmly in my mouth like I just did. I think I have a pretty good

handle on which guys to listen to around here – I’m sure you know that you

and TomB are in my top five. I follow your posts like a puppy follows a

kid – and I appreciate candid frank remarks.

Hays

Hays, I am quite humbled you think of me in that reguard. I just try to help out when I can, beause when I got to this board I was fairly rough in alot of areas of coins. Now I am a bit better off due to the help of many on this board. I wish I could thank them all, but I would be here for hours! Thanks! Oh you will be intrigued to know I am considered a young one for coins. I am only 23.

TomB – Ok, now I see why. I don’t like the PCGS boards there is

too much “attitude” there – so I don’t go there ever. Bob told me

that they call us “Sleepy Hollow” – I thought that was funny. I like

it here, it’s more laid back and there are lots of smart folks that are

willing to help you along.

Bruce – Wow, only 23. Man I wish I was where you are at that age.

I have no ego when it comes to learning from someone that knows

more than me – regardless of their age. Hayden is another sharp

young guy. I imagine you two will be quite a force in 20 years when

you are my age!

Hays

Bruce – Wow, only 23. Man I wish I was where you are at that age.

I have no ego when it comes to learning from someone that knows

more than me – regardless of their age. Hayden is another sharp

young guy. I imagine you two will be quite a force in 20 years when

you are my age!

Hays

Thats a great way to think. I try to think of posters as a great big knowledge base! I put the personal stuff aside and see the good people for what they are! Hayden is even younger than I am and he is doing very well. Thanks for the nice comments! I was once where you are at. Coins may seem like a monster at times, but over time you will learn more and they will become more frendly.

I hooked up with Bob (supertooth) and now I can pick out a Fine 12

original Walker with the best of them. It’s the only coin and the only grade

I can do with near 100% accuracy. But I’ve got ONE under my

belt – and about a million more to go. I’ll probably stick with that

one coin for now until I can do it with all the grades. If I live to be

100 maybe I can move on to others. grin.gif

Hays

Hays

Bob is a very nice man. It was him and CT who started the WYNTK Threads. I love those as it gives people a chance to share knowledge. Speaking of did you ever get my PM titled Reading Material a month or so back?

Hays

Bob is a very nice man. It was him and CT who started the WYNTK Threads. I love those as it gives people a chance to share knowledge. Speaking of did you ever get my PM titled Reading Material a month or so back?

I did get that… gosh, did I forget to thank you? The truth is I had already read

that post – I lurked here for more than a month before I got the nerve up to

start posting. I felt like I knew all you all before I even wrote my first

word! Anyway, it’s belated but – Thank You!!

Hays

I edited this to say when I reread my post I realized I even WRITE with a southern drawl – what a goofball! 27_laughing.gif