• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another 'help me grade this' thread - 1938S Merc

13 posts in this topic

I have a good feel about how I want to grade this but I wont say as I dont want to lead anyone else to a conclusion. As usual, my pictures arent the greatest...it is seriously time for a camera upgrade. Tis a poor craftsman that blames his tools perhaps, but this camera is an antique as far as electronics go. crazy.gif

So, here is a Mercury dime I got in a bulk purchase of coins at around spot price about a year ago. Out of about $40 face value I was able to seperate out about 30 coins at around this grade. Many have what appear to be full bands grin.gif (although my poor photography doesnt capture it all that well.

So, have at it...and please grade conservatively. I am fairly new to grading and really appreciate all your opinions as they are helping me validate the good evaluations I make and also to look for some things I might not be presently.

MERCO.JPGMERCR.JPG

The pictures make it hard to grade to a tee.. Luster looks nice Strike looks good... Its non Full Bands.. Its in the AU range if you ask me AU58 to AU55. On a side note here is an accurately graded MS65 FB NGC graded Merc.

1941sm.jpg

I figured you could use that to grade off of. I will say this coin is very high end for an MS65 and could be in an MS66 holder. I am not going to have it reholdered, so I can see what a true PQ MS65 looks like.

Tough to tell what is going on with that coin's condition from the images provided, but the coin has the "feel" of an AU to me. Here is another coin to compare it to, a 1939-D graded by PCGS as MS68FB but far nicer than the PCGS MS69FB of the same date as I had the coins together and was able to do a real-time, side-by-side comparison. By the way, the coins that graded PCGS MS69FB had previously been in PCGS MS68FB holders but were re-graded to obtain the grade.

Copy_of_1939dobv.jpg

Copy_of_1939drev.jpg

Marco what were your thoughts on the coin?

I was debating somewhere between EF-45 and AU50, with AU55 as a reach.

To make the distiction it really takes having the coin in hand...at least with my photography. For now I will call it AU50. Will probably take it by a local shop and see what he thinks just to get another opinion with the actual coin.

Historically I have graded raw coins based on comparisons to TPG slabbed coins I owned. Last month I picked up the ANA grading standards and havent been able to keep my hands off my collection ever since! Now i find myself going through everything I own assessing the grade. Thankfully, the folks here have provided great feedback.....you guys are kinda like my answer key smile.gif

Thanks for the replies.

but the coin has the "feel" of an AU to me

I was soooo confused for a minute. confused.gif All my eyes saw at the beginning of the thread was the 1000x2000 pixel picture of Bruce's merc. Then I scanned down through the posts and read comments like Tom's. 893whatthe.gif It was a strange experience . . . well, I guess you had to be there.

but the coin has the "feel" of an AU to me

I was soooo confused for a minute. confused.gif All my eyes saw at the beginning of the thread was the 1000x2000 pixel picture of Bruce's merc. Then I scanned down through the posts and read comments like Tom's. 893whatthe.gif It was a strange experience . . . well, I guess you had to be there.

I can see that happening... that would be a funny sight to see. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

AU 55, maybe 58..seems pretty worn under the wing......doesn't look FB though.........JMO, I'm no expert either. Here's my 38-S...66 FB

I don't like the color and I've never dipped or cracked

a coin but this one might be the first if I ever do.

1938-SMS-66fbO-1.jpg

1938s-Merc-m66fb-r-1.jpg

AU 55, maybe 58..seems pretty worn under the wing......doesn't look FB though.........JMO, I'm no expert either. Here's my 38-S...66 FB

I don't like the color and I've never dipped or cracked

a coin but this one might be the first if I ever do.

1938-SMS-66fbO-1.jpg

1938s-Merc-m66fb-r-1.jpg

Please don't dip that coin frown.gif Sell it off and buy another before you do please smile.gif