• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post an Orignal Looking coin.

220 posts in this topic

While it’s posted does anyone have knowledge of the 1921 Morgan Dollars which were struck with proof dies? I have heard they exist or could I be mistaken? And is it possible this could be one struck with proof dies.

1921obvrevpanrevised1000x502rd2.jpg

I should have posted it in the under $30.00 thread.

There are such coins known as Zerbe or Chapman proofs for this date, and one or both of these die pairs has relatively straightforward diagnostics to determine the VAM. I'll bet I am wrong and it's simply an artifact of image acquisition, but your coin to me looks to have been lightly polished.

Tom, I have thought maybe it had been polished myself. There are no hair lines present that I can see except in front of the face looks one directional maybe no more than sliding down in a pocket. The surface on this coin resembles that of say a Franklin Proof 65. I have had this for about 3 years.

1921020obvkl0.jpg

1921025revvi5.jpg

Some folks have been known to use something called jeweler's rouge, among other names, to polish surfaces without leaving circular marks. I have seen more than one coin that was a business strike passed off as a proof after it had been treated with this. I'm not saying this happened to your coin, but the image just gave me that "feel".

thumbsup2.gif Bruce, is this one going up on your site? It's a little different from the others. They are all nice, of course, but I think this one is my favorite

This one is just gonna be an extra one to go along. I already have a 58 D for my set.

1917Ptype1.jpg

Wow! That's my type of coin!

I recently got a replacement for my proof Barber Quarter pretty cheap since I misplaced my original one.

It was dipped blast white. YUK! It was a nice coin, otherwise, but blast white coins apart from moderns seem to be POSERS! Not real. This kind of reflects back to Bruce's thread on the downside of slabs and the conservation/crack out game.Kind of sux since this coin has lost most of its appeal. I hope that it will pick up some album toning over the next few years to at least give it back some of its character. Since it is stripped bare naked then it will have a better chance of picking up some nice toning.

p.s. On the proof:

The denticles aren't squared which indicates to me that it's not a proof.

Is that a proof Seated dollar, Victor? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, but the reverse especially is fully proof-like. The rest are proofs, of course. Is this why you asked or does it look it?