• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beginings of a long set.

5 posts in this topic

As mentioned in a previous post, I was going to make a push into some darkside stuff. Well I have picked out my set to start with. At first I thought hey what a great Idea. Do a Mexican 8R Reales Set, Date and Mint Mark, which I quickly found out was way to big. So now the set has been scaled down.

Set will include all the coins from Zs or Zacatecas Mint, including the Un Peso Coins. Makes the set close to 90 years. These coins are not as easy to find as say a morgan dollar, so slim pickings it may be. But I will hold out for non dipped out or cleaned [embarrassing lack of self control]. I want orignal looking pieces or to at least have some character to them. Coins like the one below.

1884zs.jpg

So Far I have

Should be great fun to work on. Grade will not be as much a factor as original looking undamaged pieces.

A lot of these aren't sold by the date/mint, they're just sold as generic so you'll have a tough time finding specific ones.

Not sure what you're looking to spend on each coin, but I'd hold out for nicer examples. The higher grade examples frequently don't cost much more than the EF examples.

Greg you are right. First off I just would like to find one of each thats not mangled, but if later on I find a better speciman I can always sell the first one and or trade it for another date. I already know the search will be long for some coins, but thats the best part. The Hunt!

Most of these can be had for $20.00 to $35.00 in Near UNC to UNC. The first ones will run a bit more. Earlier dates. Just think what a $1 coin from 1844 would cost if it was US, $400 or more and Mexican $44.00 or so, maybe a bit more, but far less than its US counterparts.