• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jefferson 5c Collection

7 posts in this topic

I acquired this set from an acquaintance who bought it from the widow of a close friend. It is in a Dansco #8113 and is complete with the proofs from 1971 - 2005. All specimens appear to be BU. Can anyone give me an idea of its value?

Chris

Not the easiest question, Chris. The proofs alone, if in good shape, are worth about $60. The business strikes could be worth anywhere from 25c each to several dollars each if they have no FS and assuming each is MS66 or less. MS66 examples from 1975-1986 can be tough to come by. MS67 pieces in the date range are fairly rare. Nice FS pieces from 1972-1986 and 1988-1992 can be pretty tough. If I thought the average grade of the business strikes was MS65 and the proofs were all in good shape, the album might go for $150 without close inspection. Sets of Jeffs are typically good buys for someone who knows the series since the value of the individual coins may significantly outweigh the set.

Hoot

Not the easiest question, Chris. The proofs alone, if in good shape, are worth about $60. The business strikes could be worth anywhere from 25c each to several dollars each if they have no FS and assuming each is MS66 or less. MS66 examples from 1975-1986 can be tough to come by. MS67 pieces in the date range are fairly rare. Nice FS pieces from 1972-1986 and 1988-1992 can be pretty tough. If I thought the average grade of the business strikes was MS65 and the proofs were all in good shape, the album might go for $150 without close inspection. Sets of Jeffs are typically good buys for someone who knows the series since the value of the individual coins may significantly outweigh the set.

Hoot

Thanks, Mark. You've given me a starting point and I'll examine them individually for grade and attributes. I've also noticed that some of the reverses are rotated slightly, between 5-10 degrees. Is this a common occurrence for the Jeffs?

Chris

Thanks, Mark. You've given me a starting point and I'll examine them individually for grade and attributes. I've also noticed that some of the reverses are rotated slightly, between 5-10 degrees. Is this a common occurrence for the Jeffs?

Chris

Yes, rotation up to 45 degrees is fairly common, particularly prior to 1987, but not rare throughout the series.

Hoot