• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which photo do you like better --mine or NGC's?

14 posts in this topic

Can't tell what the activity is between 10 & 1 o'clock on either picture. Both are dark near top. I like that yours is larger but, that's about it. You have the coin so which shows the color best?

You have the coin so which shows the color best?

The coin is toned a slight golden color and there is a dark ridge of oxidation/toning from ten to one o'clock as someone noticed. NGC's image is way too white and mine is probably too golden.

My image is from a scanner so I don't think I have any control over focus or color on the original scanned tiff file. That's a disadvantage of scanning versus using a good camera with proper lighting. I am just learning about Photoshop and can no doubt change the color of the image to more closely reflect that if the coin itself. I just have to learn more.

Neither image is quite right but I like mine better than NGC's.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rich

I like the NGC one bacause you can see the whole slab. Maybe you could cut out your photo of the coin, and past it over the coin in the NGC photo.

OK Rich-----Since I use scanner pictures too, I like your picture much better. And this is why. I can almost absolutly---for certain---tell from your picture that the toning is "Original". From the NGC picture, this is not a given in my mind. If I saw your picture, I would buy the coin. With NGC's picture---I would pass on the coin. In my way of looking at Walkers, your picture makes a 100% difference. Bob [supertooth]

Bob, do you make any adjustments to the image produced by your scanner?

Here is the procedure I'm currently using:

1. Place slabbed coin on corner of scanner. Set scan quality at 1200 X 1200 dpi. Save in tiff format.

2. Open this image in Photoshop. It's usually about 20-25mb.

3. Use the "elliptical marquee" tool in Photoshop holding down the shift key to maintain a perfect circle to the marquee. Circle the image of the coin and "copy" it.

4. Open a new blank Photoshop file with a black background.

5. "Paste" the circular image into the new blank document.

6. At this point I have not adjusted the color or contrast of the original scan at all. This is where I need more experience with Photoshop. Some of the color and contrast adjustments I've tried are pretty flaky so I've just skipped them. But this is the point in the process, I think, where you would adjust the color of the image to most closely resemble the coin in front of you. If anyone on the list has tips for this procedure, that would be most helpful.

7. Use the File>Save for Web command. This opens up the original large tiff image side by side with a proposed reduction to jpeg by Photoshop. I change the image dimensions to 400 X 400 pixels. If this gets me below 100K (NGC's image size limit), I save it out as a jpeg for use on the NGC registry or here. If the image is still over 100K, I increase the jpeg compression to make the file smaller. If the file is way under 100K, I decrease the jpeg compression to get a slightly more detailed image.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rich

Dear Rich -

This is what we do. I scan the coin with a 600 or lower dpi and save it as a jpeg file on the computer and simply upload the file to ebay or NGC--wherever I need an image. I don't make any corrections for color at all. It's really simple--nothing too complicated for me.

Rich----My wife wrote the above. I know nothing of computers or pictures. If she didn't do it---we would have nothing. You need to go elsewhere for help. Been thinking of buying a new digital in order to do better pictures but am looking at a thousand bucks----therefore still looking. This is why that I never post many pictures---they are only good scanner pictures but do not pick up the original toning properly. Bob [supertooth]

I don't particularily either image but I like your full slab scan better than the other two if that's any consulation thumbsup2.gif

I am not a big fan of scanning now that I have a descent digital camera with macro capabilities. I have seen some of the photo scanners produce high quality images though so I guess it depends on the scan. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rich & Bob,

I have found that if you tilt the coin slightly on the scanner bed you will get much more accurate color. Here’s how I do it.

First I stack two or three quarters on the middle of the scanner bed. Then I lay the top edge of the slab or whatever other holder the coin may be in on the edge of the stacked quarters. I leave the scanner’s cover open and scan the coin.

You can hardly, if at all notice the tilt of the coin in the finished scan, but the results can be dramatically better.

Here is an example of a scan produced using the above method.

1277166-1927buffaloobv.jpg1277169-1927buffalorev.jpg

John