• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Booker T Washington Half 1951 PCGS MS66

18 posts in this topic

Let's see if I've got the image hosting procedure down.

I like the toning on this coin. The photo of the obverse is not real flattering and sure shows the nicks. These are not nearly so obvious in person. Also, the center of the obverse is much more lustrous than this image indicates. The entire edge of the obverse is well-toned.

Rich

btw195167c2mo.jpg

I see you had to use the host.

Nice original looking commemorative thumbsup2.gif

I have a few of them, hope you don't mind if I post them. My images are in need of improving but there not to bad. crazy.gif

1946dbtwobvrev4be.jpg

1946sbtwobvrev8kx.jpg

1946btwobvrev4qz.jpg

Hey Rich,

I hope you don't mind me getting in on the fun. Here are a few of my Booker T's

1276444-1946btwobv2.jpg1276446-1946btwrev2.jpg

1276448-1946btwobv.jpg1276453-1946btwrev.jpg

1276455-1951btwobv.jpg1276467-1951btwrev.jpg

If you would like to see them all, check out my Early commem set.

John

Hey John, that is beautiful collection of BTW's you've got on the NGC registry. Lots of blast white coins mixed in with the toned ones.

Mine is there also but a few notches down from yours here. I will be posting pictures of the rest of them in the next week or so. Look forward to learning more about this series.

HM/Rich

Hi Rich,

I took a look at your set, and look forward to seeing your images of the coins in the coming weeks. It’s good to know of someone else who appreciates the Booker T Washington commemoratives because in my opinion the Booker T’s along with the Washington Carver’s are the most under appreciated and over looked coins in the entire early commemorative series.

There are some truly tough coins in both series, especially above MS-65, like the ’47p, ‘47d, & ‘51p BTW’s and the ‘52d, ‘53p, 53d, & 54d WC’s. Also, it’s not that easy to find examples of any of the BTW or WC’s issues that most would consider to be eye appealing.

I have a theory on why this is so. I believe the reason these coins are so hard to find in high grade or nice is because of the social climate of the time. The coins honored the accomplishments of two black Americans, but were being minted decades before the civil rights movement had begun in this country. I have even heard that at the time these coins were being minted, they were given a derogatory and racist nickname.

The quality of the coins as they left the mints left a lot to be desired to begin with, but given the above, it seems reasonable to assume that the coins were also largely ignored by collectors of the time, and instead most of the coins sold found homes with people who were not true coin collectors, and so the coins may not have been stored as well as they might have otherwise.

With most of the surviving examples of these coins having unsightly tone and surfaces that look like they can give the moon a run for its money, it’s really no surprise that the coins continue to be overlooked by most of today’s collectors, but to those of us who do appreciate these two series, finding a clean, eye appealing example can be a very satisfying experience. cloud9.gif

John

I have a theory on why this is so. I believe the reason these coins are so hard to find in high grade or nice is because of the social climate of the time. The coins honored the accomplishments of two black Americans, but were being minted decades before the civil rights movement had begun in this country. I have even heard that at the time these coins were being minted, they were given a derogatory and racist nickname.

The quality of the coins as they left the mints left a lot to be desired to begin with, but given the above, it seems reasonable to assume that the coins were also largely ignored by collectors of the time, and instead most of the coins sold found homes with people who were not true coin collectors, and so the coins may not have been stored as well as they might have otherwise.

With most of the surviving examples of these coins having unsightly tone and surfaces that look like they can give the moon a run for its money, it’s really no surprise that the coins continue to be overlooked by most of today’s collectors, but to those of us who do appreciate these two series, finding a clean, eye appealing example can be a very satisfying experience. cloud9.gif

John

Hi John,

Your reasoning is probably spot on. I wish I knew more about these two series. Breen's Encyclopedia lists as an alias for both series, "and various derogatory epithets". For the Washington-Carver series Breen says that one purpose for the issue was "to oppose the spread of communism among Negroes in the interest of National Defense". [Remember this coin came out during the McCarthy era.] He describes this as a "chimera" to induce Congress to pass authorizing legislation since most black people then were suspicious of communism and there were almost no black radical groups at the time.

Do you know of any good written material on these two series, both on their history and their grading?

I look forward to chatting with you more about these coins.

Rich

PS I also have the complete Washington-Carver series and will be posting images of them sometime in the next few weeks. You can see the listing here.

Hi Rich,

I took a look at your set, and look forward to seeing your images of the coins in the coming weeks. It’s good to know of someone else who appreciates the Booker T Washington commemoratives because in my opinion the Booker T’s along with the Washington Carver’s are the most under appreciated and over looked coins in the entire early commemorative series.

John

Hi John,

I finally got the time to take and post images of my BTW set on the NGC registry here . Will be adding comments in as soon as I can put my ideas together.

Great work Rich. 893applaud-thumb.gif

It looks like you have a nice solid set there. Now let’s see those WC’s! thumbsup2.gif

As for your question about written info on the BTW’s & WC’s, I don’t know of any books that have been written specially on those two series only, but the following two books are the best that I have found for info on all the issues of early commems.

The first is Commemorative Coins of the United States A Complete Encyclopedia by Q. David Bowers. This is an excellent book that tells the history behind each issue in a way that only Dave Bowers could. I have a copy that was signed and personalized to me by Dave and I consider it one of my most prized numismatic books.

The second book is Commemorative Coins of the United States Identification and Price Guide by Anthony J. Swiatek. This is another excellent book on commems. This book also gives some info on the history of each issue, but where this book really shines in my opinion is in Swiatek’s break down of grade availability, past performance, and recommendations on the best grade to buy for each issue based upon issue and grade rarity. Of course no one has to follow Swiatek’s recommendations, or even agree with them for that matter, but I do find his writing on this topic quite interesting.

In my opinion, both of these books should be owned by anyone interested in the early commems.

John

All very nice coins posted so far. Congrat's one and all. Heres my lowly example to share:

1946BTW6OBV.jpg

1946BTW6REV.jpg

Great work Rich. 893applaud-thumb.gif

The second book is Commemorative Coins of the United States Identification and Price Guide by Anthony J. Swiatek. This is another excellent book on commems. This book also gives some info on the history of each issue, but where this book really shines in my opinion is in Swiatek’s break down of grade availability, past performance, and recommendations on the best grade to buy for each issue based upon issue and grade rarity. Of course no one has to follow Swiatek’s recommendations, or even agree with them for that matter, but I do find his writing on this topic quite interesting.

In my opinion, both of these books should be owned by anyone interested in the early commems.

John

I'll look for Bowers' book. And I will contact Anthony Swiatek and see if he has any more copies of his book on commems. I made contact with him this month and bought a copy of his book on Walking Liberty Halves which has been very helpful. He inscribed it to me in his dramatic penmanship.

Rich

leeg, I see your BTW is in a holder. What is it graded?

HalfMad it's in a PCGS 66 holder.