• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln Cent collectors -need help with RD/RB/BN grading

4 posts in this topic

Could someone post a few pics as a guideline for grading regarding color?

I have read a bit about these color designations but I aside from looking at auction photos of TPG slabs on ebay, I havent found a good example that shows the difference between the three.

Thanks

Do you want help with grading or with designation? On Lincoln cents, color is a designation that is theoretically independent of grade in the upper circulated, MS and PF ranges.

If you are interested in how the services designate color, you aren't the only one! I have found that this is the area that they are most fast-and-loose and will give wildly inaccurate designation frequencies. Lincoln cents can also turn in the slab and this will change their designation if they were to be resubmitted. Lastly, the services will often "split the difference" if a Lincoln is a "liner" coin in both color designation and grade. That is, in these cases the services will give the coin the higher grade (or designation) while then assigning it the lower designation (or grade). This is something very important to know if you value designation on Lincolns.

Macrocoin,

TomB gave an excellent answer to your question. I won't elaborate any to what he said, but show some pic's:

RD

09linkieobv1.jpg

09linkierev1.jpg

RB

28linkieobv1.jpg

28linkierev1.jpg

BN

1910linkieobv1.jpg

1910linkierev1.jpg

Sure....distinguishing the designations is simple. I think you already have a good idea of "red".

This is an example of "red/brown"

1914.jpg

And this is "brown"

1910.jpg

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif