• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For trade: brand-new Akers' "Handbook of 20th-century US gold"

5 posts in this topic

Introduction:

I'm putting this book up for trade again, because the previous person who I agreed to trade this book to never completed the transaction. After patiently waiting longer than I probably should have for him to come through with his end of the bargain, I'm making this book available again.

Up for Trade:

One hardback copy of David W. Akers' book, A Handbook of 20th-Century United States Gold Coins: 1907-1933. Published by Bowers and Merena Galleries, Inc. in 1988. ISBN: 0-943161-19-3. This book is in brand-new condition, and is still in the printer's shrink-wrap.

This book is apparently getting hard to find. In a search on the major online book sellers:

half.com (2 copies) ($60.00 - $70.00)

Amazon (2 copies) ($99.96 - 99.99)

Barnes&Noble (0 copies)

Alibris Used Books (0 copies)

AbeBooks (2 copies) ($85.00 - $150.00)

eBay (0 copies)

I've got two copies, so I'm keeping one and trading the second (my personal copy was opened and is in almost-new condition).

Review:

In my previous trade thread, jtryka reviewed this book, saying:

Unfortunately for pendragon1998, I already have a copy of this book otherwise I'd do this trade in a heartbeat! For anyone interested in collecting any of the 20th century gold series (Saints, Indian eagles, half eagles and quarter eagles), this book is simply indispensible. Akers goes into great detail for each individual date and mintmark, with great information on strike characteristics, color and luster characteristics, polulations and rarity and a listing of the finest coins he personally had seen. I have the new Bowers Redbook on Double eagles and the Saint section of his newer book (2005 I think) pales in comparison to Akers' detail. So if you are interested in any of these series, I cannot recommend this book enough! It's been out of print for a while, and it took me several months to locate my copy when I bought it several years ago, so you'd be smart to take advantage of this one!

Terms of Trade:

I am interested in trading for AU-55 or higher sharply-struck Liberty Head Nickels (raw or slabbed) or MS-65+ 1979-P wide-rim SBA dollars, a PCGS PR-69 DCAM 1980-S proof SBA dollar, Type-2 1979 or 1981 SBA dollars, or other coins. My primary collecting interests are in SBA dollars and liberty head nickels, but I am open to any offers you wish to make. I would prefer the total value of the offer to be around $50-$70, which is the low end of the book's market value.

Unless we agree to different terms (based on how well I think I know you from your posts here), I would prefer to see the coin(s) in hand before mailing out the book. The previous trader I dealt with never sent the coin he promised, so if I had mailed out the book, I'd have been stiffed. I consider seeing the coin in hand to be equivalent to letting a check clear before sending the book. This is particularly true for raw coins, but if you're well-established here and the coin's slabbed, I'd consider simultaneous mailing. If I need to review the coin, I will ship the book or return the coin within a day of receipt.

I intend to mail the book in a padded mailer via USPS media mail.

Alternatively, if you would like to simply buy the book, I own the only two copies listed for sale on half.com.

The almost-new copy is $60 and the brand-new copy is $70.

I will stop reviewing offers in 10 days (June 25th at noon) and will announce the winner here. I look forward to making a deal!

The book up for trade:

(FYI: The white "noise" in the photo is reflection from the plastic shrinkwrap.) 1273948-akers_book.jpg

1273948-akers_book.jpg.95102f474e144b0ba789d99494953462.jpg

I've had this book for years and like jtryka said it's a damn good one. I've always hoped that Akers would do an update....probably not likely though.

jom

Okay, the date has come and gone. Guess the right trader's not around at this time. I'll leave it up for grabs indefinitely, and will post if someone takes it. Until then - someone make me an offer :-)