• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned convert!

11 posts in this topic

I have been pretty skeptical about toning because I absolutely could not tell NT from AT and could very easily be fooled. Just watched David's video (DVD) and have done a big shift (not quite 180 degree). Now, I know what I know AND more importantly know what I don't know. There are some, especially rainbow toned silver coins, that I would not be affraid to buy now. There are some of toning types that I would be unsure of so I would not buy. One good thing about the DVD is that I watched it on my computer monitor. Therefore; the yellow, magenta, & green appear the same as what I look at online. I don't know how many more times this old man has to watch the DVD before it all sinks in though. Next time......pause..take notes...play....pause...take notes...play. I'm now looking at every toned coin I can find online and testing myself. I don't expect to become an expert this way but, at least I can buy some toned beauties.

Regis

Regis----I am a cautious old man. So I just want to say that the video is a stepping stone. A really good thing to have but it will still require you seeing a bunch of coins in hand. Even then, some will look ok while others will not. And remember that the pictures will not always look as the coins do in hand. Especially with the toners. So, go slow, my friend. Take your time.

As to how many times that you can view it before it sinks in----I will admit to watching it many times. I drug out a many a coin----mostly Walkers---to relook at the colors. I think that knowledge allows you to constantly reevaluate what toned coins you have in your collection. And, as the years roll by, sometimes the ones that you were unsure of---become your best pieces. Then, others, become less valuable to you. Time and experience---what it is all about. Bob [supertooth]

Welcome to the wonderful world of toned coin afficiandos! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

It takes time, practice, patience and a few mistakes to master this facet of collecting. Having started down that road I hope it leads you to much joy and increasing pleasure as a collector. cloud9.gifyay.gifcloud9.gif

Thanks all. And Bob, according to Dave's video there are a lot of snakes in the "toned" grass so, I will heed your advice.

I have been pretty skeptical about toning because I absolutely could not tell NT from AT and could very easily be fooled. Just watched David's video (DVD) and have done a big shift (not quite 180 degree). Now, I know what I know AND more importantly know what I don't know. There are some, especially rainbow toned silver coins, that I would not be affraid to buy now. There are some of toning types that I would be unsure of so I would not buy. One good thing about the DVD is that I watched it on my computer monitor. Therefore; the yellow, magenta, & green appear the same as what I look at online. I don't know how many more times this old man has to watch the DVD before it all sinks in though. Next time......pause..take notes...play....pause...take notes...play. I'm now looking at every toned coin I can find online and testing myself. I don't expect to become an expert this way but, at least I can buy some toned beauties.

Regis

Great thumbsup2.gif

My advice is to develop both a technical (or book) knowledge as well as a working (or gut feel) knowledge. Look at as many coins as possible; auctions, dealer inventories, collector registry sets, etc... It also helps if you develop the right dealer network. There are some dealers, who I refer to as Numismatic Professionals, who wil NEVER handle a "messed with" coin. Unfortunately, there are a greater number of dealers, who I refer to as commercial dealers, who will sell you ANYTHING with plastic around it. If you surround yourself with good company you will fare much better in the long run. Good Luck !

The video is only a first step in a thousand mile journey. There are also many exceptions to general toning guidelines and you must be aware of these cases. Lastly, just because you looked at the DVD on your monitor does not mean that the color images will be consistent with what you see on the web or on your hard drive because how the images were originally acquired and processed is more important than your monitor. Go slow.

Quoting CT : "If you surround yourself with good company you will fare much better in the long run. Good Luck ! "

CT, I've found really good company here.

Quoting TomB: "Lastly, just because you looked at the DVD on your monitor does not mean that the color images will be consistent with what you see on the web or on your hard drive because how the images were originally acquired and processed is more important than your monitor. Go slow."

Bob, I Agree.....And I did have a problem with buying tooooo quickly (not toned) but, I'm over that now.

And Physics-fan, I said David but, meant Robert Campbell. The DVD is "How to Tell Artificial Toning on Coins" that has been talked about some on this forum.

Regis

Regis----Since I love to tell stories, let me give you a toned Walker story. A few years ago, I was looking for a 1917D Rev. Walker in AU condition. I needed it for my Registry set. The reverse 17D is a pretty hard one to get---but not in my top 8 coins. Anyway, I ran into a buy--it--now on Ebay in an ANACS holder in AU55. Cost really isn't important but, as I remember it was 550. The coin was soooo dark that the picture wasn't the greatest----but I knew with that toning---it surely had to be an original Walker. Bob pressed those buttons and the coin was mine. As I often do, I had emailed the seller. He actually told me that ----the why that it was listed was because the coin was toooo dark for the retail trade----therefore he figured that he would try Ebay. I was shocked---but when the coin came, I knew what he meant. Oh, it was definitely original---but very dark---almost a deep sea green----deep olive color. About half the coin is totally toned this way. Well, I kept the coin but never knew for sure exactly how much I actually liked the coin. Then, I continued to get better with understanding about toning. The more that I knew---the more that I liked the coin. I got soooo excited about the colors that I would take it outside in the sunlight and tilt it till those colors started to change for me. Oh, how my image of that coin had changed. To prove to myself that I wasn't seriously overestimating my own opinion of the coin-----I took it to the Baltimore Winter show---where I met CTcollector and showed it to him. I will not speak for him except to say that he liked it best among the coins that I had taken to show him. Then Tom B saw it later in the week at my home---and also liked it. That coin is, in my opinion, a real valuable coin. That I did not recognize it as such [in the beginning] was my lack of knowledge. Now it is one of my most favored and valued Walkers. I happened to see another 17D Rev on Ebay that was raw---bought it---and that one is now in an NGC holder in my Registry Set. But that ANACS coin is something special----" BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER"----Bob [supertooth]

There is no DVD available that can substitute for experience. Also do not rely on a TGP's opinion as to the originality of a coin. AT coins can be found in any plastic.