• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An interesting toning story

11 posts in this topic

That is a great read Hays. You're a good man for being so patient. I would tell your sisters friend to get her butt back up in that attic and find some more of those coins.

I'll leave the AT/NT question for the experts.

I don't doubt that there are many attics around that have old coins stashed in them. A 1913 Liberty V was found in a closet! Makes you wonder what's still out there just waiting to be found.

Hays, an AT coin is one where a "doctor" applies artifical toning in order to deceive another that is more valuable than it is, or is covering damage or a prior cleaning.

The coins that you are describing are anything but AT. The man was hoarding them to keep them from being lost through a depression or other means. I doubt he ever thought of artifically toning them. If these coins pan out for you, I think that you may be well assured they are the result of natural toning due to the containers in which they were held, the location and climactic conditions. There is no intent to deceive, IMO. That's what makes the difference to me.

Great story thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif Please keep us posted as events unfold for you.

CT, I told this lady I was getting advice by posting her story here. She got very upset. She is

not Internet savvy and believes anyone reading my post could find her and rob her. I told her

that I would remove the post. It may seem silly to us, but I had to respect her wishes.

Hays