• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Album question

5 posts in this topic

I posted this in the World coin area, but I thought I might get more info if I

posted here too.

My nephew came over an announced that he was ready to start coin collecting.

I thought that was great – I love this hobby. He also said that he was

mainly interested in coins from Japan and China. Again, I thought this was

great – I’m a US coin guy, we can teach each other the things we learn.

BUT then he sat at my computer and went to Ebay to buy some coins!!

I just about had to wrestle him away from the screen – WHEW!

I see his first lesson will need to be about PATIENCE!

His primary interest is in Japan so I thought a type set might be the best way

to start. It will give him a chance to learn about all (or most) of their coins.

I already found some good reference books from another post. Now, I am

looking for a coin album. If we have to go with the blank Dansco World

Coin album then we will, but that one consists of plastic sleeves that

hold flips. He really wants one like my Dansco 7070 – but for Japanese

coins. It would even be ok if it were an actual Japanese album – surly they

collect coins there too.

Any suggestions?

Hays

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

No American manufacturer has ever put out an album for collecting Japanese coins by date, but Dansco issued a nice type album many years ago (#7460). It turns up used from time to time, but it brings good money in online auctions. There are some albums made by Japanese manufacturers that include date runs by reign, but these also bring a strong premium when offered, which is rarely.

Whitman used to have, and I think they still do, carry blank albums. No name on the cover. They also sell many blank pages but unfortunately each page has slots for only one size coin. Then there is the sheets of rub on, gold letters and numbers they also sell.

I'm not familiar with Japanese or to many other country's coinage as far as size so you would have to acquire an assortment first and then order the appropriate pages for the make it yourself album. I've got many of those red cardboard boxes they sell at the coin shows full of 2x2's with other country's coins in them. I've sorted them by country but have no idea of which is what so not in any order. Also, many I have no idea of what country because I only read English (actually American).

I know this should work. I puchase many of these unmarked Whitman pages for my albums. For instance I added a page at the rear of my Lincoln Albums for Proofs Only. I labled the top of the page and each under each coin with the rub offs from Whitman. Looks pretty good. One friend of mine asked where I bought a page with that printed on it and when I told him I did it, he laughed and walked away.

I have done an exhausted search for a Dansco #7450 - found nothing. The blank Whitman

album might be just the solution. I'm in the market for a hot stamping machine anyway, so

I could eventually put the appropriate dates on the blank pages. Thanks for the idea.

Hays

One more thing is to start asking around if anyone has coins from other countries. If you work in a large company there are usually enough people that someone will have or know someone that has foreign coins. That's were I got hundreds of them.

Far better than ebay. If you have a regular bank you go to and they know you ask there if they could get you some coins from Japan. Normally they don't do that but at some banks they will to keep customers happy. At my bank there are a few people from India. They got me a large selection of coins from there.

Now here is something I've always wanted to do. Use the internet to contact the Japanese Consulate here and ask if there is some way you could acquire coins from Japan. Tell them you plan on going there and want to get familiar with the currency. Wouldn't have to be a lie you know. Maybe some day you will go there so who knows.

Sayonara to yoi un

or Good by and good luck