• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Japanese coin album

19 posts in this topic

My nephew came over an announced that he was ready to start coin collecting.

I thought that was great – I love this hobby. He also said that he was

mainly interested in coins from Japan and China. Again, I thought this was

great – I’m a US coin guy, we can teach each other the things we learn.

BUT then he sat at my computer and went to Ebay to buy some coins!!

I just about had to wrestle him away from the screen – WHEW!

I see his first lesson will need to be about PATIENCE!

His primary interest is in Japan so I thought a type set might be the best way

to start. It will give him a chance to learn about all (or most) of their coins.

I already found some good reference books from another post. Now, I am

looking for a coin album. If we have to go with the blank Dansco World

Coin album then we will, but that one consists of plastic sleeves that

hold flips. He really wants one like my Dansco 7070 – but for Japanese

coins. It would even be ok if it were an actual Japanese album – surly they

collect coins there too.

Any suggestions?

Hays

Dansco used to make a Japan type set album. When I asked around for one at the last Long Beach show, all I got were frowns or laughs. frown.gif

Do you think they were laughing at the album availability or your height?

I really don't think that the Japanese collect coins nearly as much as we Americans do.
If that were true, there wouldn't be dozens of dealers advertising in the annual Japanese Numismatic Dealer's Association catalog!

For Japanese coins the catalog prices are generally much higher than Krause.

There is at least one member of this forum in Japan, whose specialty is US half dimes.

Unfortunately, none of the websites I know about have English versions, other than the Mint Bureau. frown.gif

I've sent inquiries to some dealers I do business with about type-set albums, and if I get any useful replies I'll post the information.

I bet that not many Japanese people would be willing to spend millions for low face value coins. Hundreds of millionaires out there would gladly shell out a few million for a favorite coin.

I really don't think that the Japanese collect coins nearly as much as we Americans do.
If that were true, there wouldn't be dozens of dealers advertising in the annual Japanese Numismatic Dealer's Association catalog!

For Japanese coins the catalog prices are generally much higher than Krause.

There is at least one member of this forum in Japan, whose specialty is US half dimes.

Unfortunately, none of the websites I know about have English versions, other than the Mint Bureau. frown.gif

I've sent inquiries to some dealers I do business with about type-set albums, and if I get any useful replies I'll post the information.

Thanks, I'll look for your post!

Hays

I bet that not many Japanese people would be willing to spend millions for low face value coins.
"Millions" in Japanese yen would only be ~$17,300. laugh.gif

Besides, how many US collectors spend "millions for low face value coins"? If that's your test for whether a country has a lot of collectors, I challenge you to name one country that qualifies (since Turkey lopped six zeros off its denominations).

Err... Millions for a 1913 liberty V nickel. Look in the back of a recent redbook and it shows auction prices for US coins. VERY high!

Dansco used to make a Japan type set album. When I asked around for one at the last Long Beach show, all I got were frowns or laughs. frown.gif

Do you think they were laughing at the album availability or your height?

Japanese are supposed to be short. sumo.gif

Nice story. It's always cool when younger folks start collecting. I however wouldbe scared as all hell to collect Asian coins, especially Chinese coins. I can't even count how many counterfeit and bogus coins stories I've heard out of Asia. Are Japanese coins generally safer to buy? Please educate me. yay.gif

Are Japanese coins generally safer to buy?
They are for me, but that's only because
  • I know more about them than I do about Chinese coins
  • I have much more reference material on them (both in English and Japanese) than I do on Chinese coins
  • I've gathered a number of samples of the most common types of counterfeits to use for comparison

It also depends quite a bit on the type of coin and its age.

I don't collect, or know very much about, pre-Meiji coins (~487-1869), but I understand that the silver and gold have been heavily counterfeited.

Just about every Meiji coin (1870-1912) has more counterfeits out there than genuine coins, including many of the bronze/copper ones.

Generally the only Taisho coins (1912-1925) that have been extensively counterfeited are the gold and silver.

Most Showa coins (1926-1989) that you'll see on EBay are genuine.

So far, I've neither seen nor heard about any counterfeit Heisi coins (1989-present)., but I'd still want to carefully examine any gold or high value (¥5,000 and up) silver coin before putting out the bucks.

Conquered territory coins seem to be pretty much genuine, but I'd be leary of Leprosarium coins.

When it comes to pattern coins - Even if I could afford one, I wouldn't buy it without an opinion from a top-rank expert.

Are Japanese coins generally safer to buy?
They are for me, but that's only because
  • I know more about them than I do about Chinese coins
  • I have much more reference material on them (both in English and Japanese) than I do on Chinese coins
  • I've gathered a number of samples of the most common types of counterfeits to use for comparison

It also depends quite a bit on the type of coin and its age.

I don't collect, or know very much about, pre-Meiji coins (~487-1869), but I understand that the silver and gold have been heavily counterfeited.

Just about every Meiji coin (1870-1912) has more counterfeits out there than genuine coins, including many of the bronze/copper ones.

Generally the only Taisho coins (1912-1925) that have been extensively counterfeited are the gold and silver.

Most Showa coins (1926-1989) that you'll see on EBay are genuine.

So far, I've neither seen nor heard about any counterfeit Heisi coins (1989-present)., but I'd still want to carefully examine any gold or high value (¥5,000 and up) silver coin before putting out the bucks.

Conquered territory coins seem to be pretty much genuine, but I'd be leary of Leprosarium coins.

When it comes to pattern coins - Even if I could afford one, I wouldn't buy it without an opinion from a top-rank expert.

Looks like I came to the right place - you have lots of good info! I'll point my nephew to this thread. Thanks again.

Hays

I didn't forget - just haven't received any valid infor. frown.gif

Imagine my surprise when upon deciding to collect Japanese coins, I did a google search and stumbled across this thread. Not only did I find a great site on collecting coins, but also a site with exactly the information I was looking for! I suppose there is nothing else to say besides "Thank you", and "Hello!"

I once had a Japanese modern coin alubum for each date and denom, but I haven't seen an alubum for type......I'll keep my eyeson it next time I attend a coin show in japan.

Be careful when you buy japanese silver yen....most of whitch I see at Yahoo japan auction are supposed to be fake.

I once had a Japanese modern coin alubum for each date and denom, but I haven't seen an alubum for type......I'll keep my eyeson it next time I attend a coin show in japan.

Be careful when you buy japanese silver yen....most of whitch I see at Yahoo japan auction are supposed to be fake.

Yea, verily.

There are so many good looking counterfeits coming out of China that I'd be very wary of key dates. I've seen more counterfeit Meiji 8 trade dollars and one yen coins than genuine ones, but even common date material is being counterfeited.