• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creative problem solvers...please help with Parts "A" and "B"

14 posts in this topic

I am trying to figure out a slick way to interface Parts "A" and "B." Thanks for the help smile.gif

help1.jpg

For size reference, I've included Parts A and B next to the new SLQ I got today grin.gif

help2.jpg

help3.jpg

help4.jpg

help5.jpg

Due to my crappy photographic skills, you can't really see any of the light but cool multicolored surfaces on the coin.

It's just for size reference anyway sumo.gif

I'd change the upholstery on the couch...

27_laughing.gif

If that pivot spot in the loupe is big enough and hollow you might try using the same things they use on dog-tags. I don't know what they are called but they look like a line of BBs linked into a chain. Then again, maybe a strong fishing line might do the trick.

Hays

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

You do need the lanyard, because good loupes have an especially powerful gravitational force that causes them to be left at dealers' tables. This same strange force causes temporary memory loss that doesn't lift until at least an hour after arriving home from the coin show.

I suspend that same type of loupe with a heavy paper clip. A pair of pliers can be used to twist the paper clip into a triangular shape, with the two ends overlapping one another at the bottom of the triangle. By then prying these apart, they can be inserted into the hollow hinge of the loupe. Releasing pressure will cause them to once again overlap, holding the loupe securely. Attaching the paper clip to the lanyard is easy, and several ways will suggest themselves.

The newer models of that loupe no longer have a hollow hinge, and I don't know of any way to suspend those.

You do need the lanyard, because good loupes have an especially powerful gravitational force that causes them to be left at dealers' tables. This same strange force causes temporary memory loss that doesn't lift until at least an hour after arriving home from the coin show.

I suspend that same type of loupe with a heavy paper clip. A pair of pliers can be used to twist the paper clip into a triangular shape, with the two ends overlapping one another at the bottom of the triangle. By then prying these apart, they can be inserted into the hollow hinge of the loupe. Releasing pressure will cause them to once again overlap, holding the loupe securely. Attaching the paper clip to the lanyard is easy, and several ways will suggest themselves.

The newer models of that loupe no longer have a hollow hinge, and I don't know of any way to suspend those.

You can get a lanyard that has a small hole through it and suspend it much the same way with a paper clip. You can also get something with a slip on one end, and a button snap thing on the other ant attach one end to the loupe and the other to the lanyard. That's what I have on mine, since my lanyard didn't come with a clip.

Here's what I did:

1270400-Zeissloupe.JPG

Just attach a D ring to the hinge. You'll have to cut the straight part of the D ring with some stout wire cutters to size it right, but then just clip it into place and attach a lanyard.

Hoot

1270400-Zeissloupe.JPG.b0e9fe7f7fdbe374248e7897f0aaf55a.JPG

Whoa - good job Hoot.

Why aren't these things made like this?

I've never gone to a show frown.gif

Does anyone but me find loupes hard to look through?

I use a digital microscope at home and a regular old magnifying glass at the coin shop.

Hays

Depending on the loupe, some can be hard to look through. I thought about buying a 25X loupe once, but it felt like my eye was being sucked into whatever I was looking at. Now I have a 10X loupe that I've gotten rather used to.

I have the Belomo Triplet 10X loupe, and it works very well. Manufactured in Belarus. Visit this website for more information. IT's even got its own lanyard that I might have to buy.