• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some full time NGC coin graders on vacation?

12 posts in this topic

Are you complaining?

My complaints are always followed directly by Braddick's DOOM AND GLOOM comments.

So, no complaints today. grin.gif

TRUTH

You see instances like this where coins can be overgraded, bt I would be willing to bet that there are just as many undergraded instances as this.

There definitely are as many undergraded as overgraded, if not more! Grading services are inconistent by nature; that's why they should only be used as a guide in the first place. They are not "grading gods" as I have heard so many times! screwy.gif Opinions on a coin can change grade from one minute to the next in the grading room. Also, PCGS does this all the time too, so I wouldn't say this a lot to do with NGC slabs selling for less. That's all about perception. And perception is wrong, in my opinion! PCGS grades my NGC coins the same if not higher when I crack them out and submit them raw.

You see instances like this where coins can be overgraded, bt I would be willing to bet that there are just as many undergraded instances as this.

I'll take that bet takeit.gif

This leads us back around to the question asked on the other forum. What grading standards are we applying to make the determination.

I'll take that bet takeit.gif

This leads us back around to the question asked on the other forum. What grading standards are we applying to make the determination.

You need to apply your own standards. You need to know what constitutes a GEM BU coin from a CHOICE BU coin, a BU coin from an AU coin, an original coin from a commercially enhanced coin, etc.... Once you are comfortable and confident with your standards, you need to stick to them. If you don't, you will be at the mercy of the whims of TPG's who change grading standards to meet their own self interest.