• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My NEWP from Long Beach.

12 posts in this topic

I've been looking for this one for a while. An 1885 Proof 64 Liberty Nickel. I found that one was going to be in the Heritage auction at Long Beach. I've never placed a bid with them before so it was a little nerve wracking but the ladies there were very helpful and answered every question.

This is the last needed to finally complete my Liberty Nickel Collection and while most are in cirulated condition, I wanted the 1885 to be Unc. I just couldn't see spending $300 to $400 for one in Good condition. I decided to go the extra mile and get the one I really wanted.

181936-Liberty%201885%20PF%2064.JPG

It does have some minor planchet flaking around the date but it's a strong strike (both ears of corn show very well) and it has very nice toning.

Immediately after picking up my new baby, I took it to show it off to John Ruiz (strat) who had a table there. As I'm walking up to his table, he's laying a NGC slab on the table for me to look at. An 1883 N/C MS 64 Liberty Nickel. Now how am I going to be able to resist that? Seems I'm on my way to upgrading my collection already.

181936-Liberty%201883%20NC%20MS%2064.JPG

All-in-all it was a super show for me. To spend the day at the Long Beach with friends and family(my oldest son went with me for the first time) plus get these newps - I was in heaven!

589a8aeda67e8_181936-Liberty1883NCMS64.JPG.1873fc284f096aad4d65c40daf0c274b.JPG

Nice coins. smile.gif How long did you work on your set? I ask because the Liberty nickel series is not an easy one to finish quickly if you are looking for problem-free coins with eye appeal.

Most of my collection is actually raw circulated pieces. Everything from Good to Ex-Fine. I could have purchased a circulated ' 85 but I just couldn't see spending that kind of money when I could get a Proof. With the purchase of the these two and a ' 04 MS-63, I figure to start upgrading now. That's my next challange. (That and getting my wife to understand wink.gif )

Forget about getting your wife to understand, I think there is a genetic component to numismatics and males have a dominant gene on the Y chromosome that suppresses the recessive function of the dosage-dependent female X-linked anti-numismatics gene. Please note that not all females have this recessive gene at two copies in my genetics of numismatics theory; some only have one copy and are therefore appreciative of the hobby/industry. wink.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

I understood that your set was mostly raw and circulated, however, I thought my point about how tough this set is to get in problem-free condition and attractive in eye appeal to be accurate. Did it take you a long time? Do you keep the bulk of the set in a Capital Plastics holder?

At the recently concluded GSNA show the dealer next to me bought a gorgeous, at first glance, 1885 Liberty nickel. Once you looked closely though, you could see that it had a severe rim nick that was more prominent on the reverse. Ouch! 893frustrated.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Actually I quit explaining or asking my wife a long time ago. I just let her know when making I'm making a major purchase now. (It helped that I bought her a new van for Xmas smile.gif )

I believe it took about two years to complete the set. The circ's reside in an old used Whitman album. Double sided. I picked up two other keys, the 86 (G) & the 12-S (F) relatively cheap.

There was an '85 PR-66 available at the same auction that I was considering but there seemed to be a couple "flat" spots on the hair and for the money involved (over $1300 w/juice for the 66), I felt the 64 was the better purchase.

I'm trying to do a circ Liberty nickel set in VF or better in a Dansco, and it's a real bear. You're either looking at slicked cull AGs or slabbed MSs that are too expensive. It's kinda fun though...a series that not many folks get interested in (because, I think, it's hard to find nice circ coins) sumo.gif

I'm trying to do a circ Liberty nickel set in VF or better in a Dansco, and it's a real bear. You're either looking at slicked cull AGs or slabbed MSs that are too expensive. It's kinda fun though...a series that not many folks get interested in (because, I think, it's hard to find nice circ coins) sumo.gif

Even the coins in GD to VG don't usually look very attractive. So much wear that the design really gets lost. I've been looking for these for a while just to get the 20th Century issues, and it's taken a long time to get just a few coins.