• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the boundry between classic and modern coinage????

3 posts in this topic

I realize that NGC is in the business of grading coins, but, .....

A question has been raised on the coin boards that I thought maybe you nice folks at NGC could answer for us.

What is the boundry between classic and modern coinage????

To me, It's the cutoff of an old design vs. a new design. And the old design is no longer being produced.

Can any of you help???

mike

-----------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Mike,

There is no actual cut-off year between modern and vintage coins utilized at NGC. Even though we use 1955 in order to dictate "modern" submissions, this does not mean that all coins before or after are either vintage or modern. Also, the generally accepted modern vs. vintage cut-offs will tend to change with each successive year, perhaps like automobiles, within our industry. My own personal cut-off is the end of the 90% issues in 1964, but I'm sure that could be debated as well.

Thanks for your post to NGC and we look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Rick

Rick, I thankyou for your reply!!

THANKYOU!!!!!!

It's very interesting how all of us on the coin boards have a different ( feeling ) of what the boundry should be!!!

What I personally like the best, is , what everyone openly states ,( It is in there opinion ) about the boundry.

Thats why I like this board!! Good honest people!! Just collecting coins and haveing fun doing it!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

And yes, the end of the 90% issues could be addressed as well..

thankyou for your personal thoughts!! grin.gif

mike

--------------------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif