• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Report from the Parsippany, NJ coin show

7 posts in this topic

As expected, the "big dogs" were in Long Beach. However, floor traffic was heavier than it has been in the last couple of months. Also, there were only one or two empty tables, so the show was able to get some fill-in dealers. Harco (books and supplies) was there, although his inventory was a bit light this month.

As far as interesting items goes, I saw an 1814 PCGS-58 small date Bust dime, an 1865 half eagle (NGC slabbed, but I forget the grade) and a $10 1864 Compound Interest Treasury Note (Fr. 190) - now I've never seen one of them before. Other than that, it was the usual sea of Morgans and modern Mint products, although it is true that some of the Morgans were tarnished in a manner some consider attractive.

As TomB posted, it was rainy this morning, but I was still a bit disappointed that no one showed up at our meeting place. (Mr. Kelso and I missed each other, unfortunately.)

I'm sorry I was not able to attend. It was raining so hard by my house when I got up this morning to get ready to go, at 5:00 AM, that I decided not to make the 370 mile round trip trek to the show. Had it not been raining I would have been there this month. frown.gif

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

When I lived in New Jersey, I would work the Long Beach show for NGC Wed-Sat, take the redeye flight home Sat night, arrive in Newark about 6 am, then shower at home and browse the Parsippany show for a few hours.

Now that's coin crazy! grin.gif

And we New Jerseyans are still upset that you moved!

It was so nice to have some genuine "Big Dogs" at our own monthly show.

In fact, I still remember the day you came to the Parsippany show to pass out copies of the second edition of your Buffalo nickel book!

Yes, I remember when you came to the table I shared with Bob Beels and signed your books for us. That was cool. smile.gif

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I do remember that day. It was gratifying to fill orders in person to my friends.

There aren't many things I miss about NJ, but the coin shows and clubs were a lot better than down here. I especially miss the NJ Numismatic Society, a truly amazing organization for serious collectors who want to learn something new each month and see a wide variety of numismatic items.