• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My friend Bob (supertooth)

14 posts in this topic

For a couple of weeks now I have been learning to recognize and grade

original circulated Walking Liberty halves from one of our members:

Bob aka supertooth.

I cannot say enough great things about this man. His patience and generosity

are matched only by his knowledge of the series and his talent for teaching

what he knows. I have hounded this poor man with multiple

PMs – sometimes SEVERAL in one day – seeking his guidance and

instruction. He has never once turned me away or tired of my questions.

I told him once that I felt as if he plucked me from shark-infested waters by

taking me under his wing. He has single-handedly taken my collecting to

a whole new level. The mail delivered my first purchase under his guidance:

5c19yg.jpg

8f14lu.jpg

Some of the members know how blessed we are to have him here, but I

want EVERY member to know it!

THANK YOU BOB! I am forever indebted to you. BUT, don’t think that

you are done with me – I still have A LOT to learn! grin.gif

Hays

I agree. Bob is a very generous and warm-hearted individual. I like his seasoned maturity and input to these boards. thumbsup2.gif

Bob chimed in on a few of my threads, specifically a recent one about Walkers....his info helped me out a great deal. I have learned a lot from reading here, certainly more than I expected to learn in such a short amount of time.

Walkers are great coins - I scoop them up every chance I get!

Bob is indeed helpful and patient. There is no telling how many people Bob has helped. He has raised the level of my collecting and hunting far beyond where I imaged it could go. And he has accomplished that online, not in classroom, in person. Thank you Bob.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

A knowledgeable, trusted, and patient mentor is a key to enjoyment of this hobby. Bob fills the bill perfectly.

Wanted to thank Hays for his kind words. Happy to do it for him---or anyone who asks. But, everyone deserves a laugh. A few minutes ago my collector son, Dave, came in to pick up some umpire shirts that his mom had sewed his umpire number on for him. Naturally, he went onto this post---as I was on the computer. Well, he started laughing and yells for his sister, Karen, to come look. These guys are writing about dad. It was a riot. The consensus opinion, after the rolling laughter finally settled down, was that you guys just have never lived with me. Patient??? was one of the words that seemed to be repeated many times. Kind, generous?? Now, naturally, you guys know the 'real' me. My kids just have to live with their dad. Thanks guys. Bob [supertooth]

Wanted to thank Hays for his kind words. Happy to do it for him---or anyone who asks. But, everyone deserves a laugh. A few minutes ago my collector son, Dave, came in to pick up some umpire shirts that his mom had sewed his umpire number on for him. Naturally, he went onto this post---as I was on the computer. Well, he started laughing and yells for his sister, Karen, to come look. These guys are writing about dad. It was a riot. The consensus opinion, after the rolling laughter finally settled down, was that you guys just have never lived with me. Patient??? was one of the words that seemed to be repeated many times. Kind, generous?? Now, naturally, you guys know the 'real' me. My kids just have to live with their dad. Thanks guys. Bob [supertooth]

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif - FAMILY doesn't count!

I don't believe it anyway, I'm sure you offer them tons of wisdom,

and I bet they appreciate it too.

Hays

I want to chime in here too.

Bob's posts about Walking Liberty halves have been incredibly helpful. I printed out his recent grading guidance and pulled out my raw Walkers and re-graded 92 of them yesterday at one sitting. This is the first time I have sat down and applied a consistent set of standards to these coins as they were acquired at different times and from different sources. A few things I noticed:

Most of the coins I had bought on ebay were overgraded, cleaned and not very satisfying to re-look at.

Most of the coins that I acquired directly from other collectors or through family hoardes and graded by me passed Bob's standards well and had nice tone from the years they were in circulation without cleaning.

It's given me a better appreciation for assembling a nice set of circulated coins. I've become too fixated on just slabbed coins recently.

Thanks Bob! You are a great teacher.

Rich

Bob, you might just have us all bamboozled! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess the real question about your niceguy status would be to poll some of your old patients. 27_laughing.gif

Anyone who doesn't heed Bob's advice on WLH's is shooting himself in the foot.

This man loves these coins and his insight is invaluable. Its always great to hear from him; he's a true gentleman !