• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Learning to grade - determining higher MS grades advice

2 posts in this topic

Looking for some grading advice, particularly with MS coins.

I have been trying to stick with Morgans since that is what I probably know best.

I find it fairly easy to grade the lower grade coins. I have been using the ANA grading standards guide and feel that I have been pretty accurate match the descriptions for the G, F, EF, and so on. Once I get into the MS grades, and really even the AU grade, I find it very difficult to make a determination. I have enough slabbed Morgans from the top two TPG's to compare my raw coins against, so I can match the detail from a variety of MS63, MS64, and MS65 coins...but other than having a guy feel for it from doing this for a while, I really have a tough time deciding the true grade of a raw MS coin without the slabbed comparison next to it.

Specifically, determining % luster puzzles me. Are there any rules to this, or methods which help determine the approximate percent of luster? I have a few raw coins that I am fairly confident would grade MS63 or MS64, but I have nothing concrete to base it on. The market values for these particular coins in those grades dont justify the cost of sending them in for professional grading. I guess I should post them here.....hmmm.

Anyway, any grading advice you have for an eager novice would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

I'll give this is a shot - but keep in mind this may be a little bit more conservative than what you are seeing in holders and I am sure others will offer different opinions.

I would start with MS-65 (and then work up and down) and say that a coin graded MS-65 should have a full strike or near full strike (depending on the issue), relatively free of major contact marks (mint or man made) - particularly on focal areas, and full luster. There should be no rub on the high points.

I would think think MS-64 can have some obvious weakness in strike, some more contact marks than a 65 - with a mark in focal area permitted. Luster should be close to full - if luster is dulled due to deep original toning, that would be OK. If it is dulled due to repeated dipping that is not OK at this grade level. There should be no rub on the high points.

MS 63's can possess a weak strike, dulled luster, and greater contact marks across the coin. Not all at once. But something such as a weakly struck coin with decent luster and decent surface preservation can be a 63. It is precluded from a higher grade due to poor strike, otherwise the coin is OK. Diddo for luster and surface preservation.

MS 66's - are 65's with better eye appeal due to original color and/or booming luster.

MS-67's should be completely original eye appealing coins that possess full strike and luster as well as pristine surfaces.