• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few months ago, I asked.........

16 posts in this topic

A few months ago, I asked this forum "What should I do with a couple half bags of old silver coins that I had remaining from colecting in the '50's & 60's?". Answer basically was buy modern books, read forum, learn, then "cherry-pick" the clean coins and use the rest as bullion. I followed that advice and sold gradually as silver was rising. And, I've been learning and learning and learning and having great time re-investing that silver. It'll be years before I come close to catching up with the knowledge most of you have but, I'm working it. Probably a forth of my coins are "educational" mistakes (e.g. over-paid).

Here is an overall snapshot of my progress.

I thank you all for the encouragement and help.

group-coins.jpg

Regis-----As long as you are playing with disposable income that you can afford to loose----but, even more importantly that you are having fun and enjoying yourself. Well, then it is a great hobby. Have fun and continue to learn. Bob [supertooth]

It sounds like you are taking a measured, cautious approach and that is very wise. It also looks like you have a thing for slabbed dollars. wink.gif

A few months ago, I asked this forum "What should I do with a couple half bags of old silver coins that I had remaining from colecting in the '50's & 60's?". Answer basically was buy modern books, read forum, learn, then "cherry-pick" the clean coins and use the rest as bullion. I followed that advice and sold gradually as silver was rising. And, I've been learning and learning and learning and having great time re-investing that silver. It'll be years before I come close to catching up with the knowledge most of you have but, I'm working it. Probably a forth of my coins are "educational" mistakes (e.g. over-paid).

Here is an overall snapshot of my progress.

I thank you all for the encouragement and help.

group-coins.jpg

Lower left corner, fourth column from the left, second coin from the bottom.......what is it?

Chris

QUOTE: "Lower left corner, fourth column from the left, second coin from the bottom.......what is it? "

1881-Obv.jpg

1881-Rev.jpg

I bought slab Morgans early mostly because thet were safe until I understood grading (at least a little). I mostly have WLH's but a respectable start on Morgan collction.

Regis

It looks like a very fun collection to look through and I commend you for taking the time to educate yourself......sometimes a pile of coins like you have pictured can be a lot more fun than any pile of slabs one could run across. Coins with character are never a waste of money........... thumbsup2.gif

It looks like a very fun collection to look trough and I commend you for taking the time to educate yourself......sometimes piles of coins like you have pictured can be a lot more fun than any pile of slabs one could run across. Coins with character are never a waste of money........... thumbsup2.gif

Shane:the great numismatic philosopher. 893applaud-thumb.gif

It looks you have a nice collection going there! Congratulations on your newfound addiction thumbsup2.gif

Hayden

I think it's the shirt Hayden....a little class or something else is rubbing off on me...........Chris.......no wise cracks from the peanut gallery 893naughty-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

I think it's the shirt Hayden....a little class or something else is rubbing off on me...........Chris.......no wise cracks from the peanut gallery 893naughty-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Who, me? Never!

Chris

great looking collection! This place is a great place for knowledge. I see you have come along way in ssuch a short time. I hope you continue to ask as needed, and keep on going. Your off to a better start than most people, I would presume. Congrats!

..a little class or something else is rubbing off on me..

Rubbing off? Ooooooh, that's gross. Better take a sperm count!

Sorry, Shane, I couldn't resist.

Chris

..a little class or something else is rubbing off on me..

Rubbing off? Ooooooh, that's gross. Better take a sperm count!

Sorry, Shane, I couldn't resist.

Chris

I knew it.....I knew it.... foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

great looking collection! This place is a great place for knowledge. I see you have come along way in ssuch a short time. I hope you continue to ask as needed, and keep on going. Your off to a better start than most people, I would presume. Congrats!

Many of the coins you see are the "easy-to-find" dates. I have about 200 WLH's but, am missing 5 in my VG+ and missing a lot more in my AU+ collections. I try not to buy below F unless at melt price.

As an investment, I cashed-in about $3K of silver and gold in a rising market and bought collectable coins (some better than others). As gold/silver has dropped, I have not seen my coins drop in value. A little luck on timing and lots of help from you folks, especially Bob[supertooth].

Now that I've settled in to sensible collecting, I'm concentrating on learning and collecting WLH's and 3 Cent Nickels.

Sounds like you have a good grip on your collection by educating yourself first and buying second. thumbsup2.gif

I always enjoy reading about other collectors having fun with their collecting, thanks for sharing with the forum. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Congratulations on your newfound addiction

Listen up tubby, stooges.gif

I get enough of this “addiction” stuff here at home from Mrs. B, I really don’t need to be hearing this kind of crazy talk here… insane.gif

Listen up tubby, stooges.gif

I get enough of this “addiction” stuff here at home from Mrs. B, I really don’t need to be hearing this kind of crazy talk here… insane.gif

Don't worry,it's a mutual thing insane.gif

This thread, in conjunction with Regis44's original, is one of THE best I've ever seen on the boards, just because it showcases the development of a collection. Thanks for sharing. Fantastic, just FANTASTIC!! thumbsup2.gif

James