• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lacquer on copper

2 posts in this topic

I have a 1909 SVDB penny that I bought in 1955. I bought it from a dealer in LA, and at the time, since I was a kid, I didn't recognise the fact that it was lacquered when I received it. It also had a soft band of dark toning on the reverse that looked like something you might get if someone laid a rubber band across the reverse. The band is about the width of a narrow rubber band, maybe 1/16 inch or so.

The cent is red unc, but with some small spots here and there.

Questions:

Is it wise to remove the lacquer?

Once lacquer is removed, is the red copper surface more prone to toning?

Can you remove a sulfide band (I assume that is what it is) or stripe on copper?

Can you remove the typical copper spots one sees on many red copper coins?

Thanks,

Marv Finnley

While it is possible to remove the lacquer from a red copper coin, there are some issues to consider. The surfaces of a copper coin will not be stable upon removing the lacquer and will quickly turn to a more stable state. This means the coin will not remain red. The coin will not be gradeable by NGC with the lacquer on its surfaces but assuming the coin does not have any other surface issues such as evidence of improper cleaning or environmental damage, it could be gradeable as a red-brown or brown copper coin.

The type of bands similar to what you describe are unfortunately rarely able to be removed completely. They often can be diminished but some evidence will remain. The rubber band or whatever may have caused the line has corroded the surface of the coin just enough to make a mark permanent without abrading the surfaces which would create a coin that has been improperly cleaned.

Small dark spots that appear on copper coins can usually be reduced and prevented from becoming worse, but some evidence of the spot will still remain.

Chris, NCS