• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mis-align-general

4 posts in this topic

The MAD post got me looking at newer coins. Found several off center Lincolns but, then found this dime. Is this a common occurance and not add much value? Or does it actually downgrade the coin? As far as die alignment, there is not an obvious error.

1989-P.jpg

1989-P-darker.jpg

Reg: Yes, your dime is slightly mis-aligned. It is a fairly common occurance on the higher denominations and especially the older dates. The 2005 cent MAD that Chris posted is more of the collectable type. Not so much of the error itself, but more because of the date and denomination. This is because the Mint installed newer and more sensitive "riddlers" for catching errors. Finding 2004 to present errors is getting tougher and hence more collectors want one. I was told my 2006 cent error would probably bring around the $10 range. If you check eBay auctions for error category -- there are very few if any mint errors, i.e. off-centers, double strikes, large broadstrikes, etc. for 2004 to present dated coins. When they are available they are bid on pretty quick. I did see a 2006 cent struck on a struck 2006 dime that brought high 4 figures!!!! If one was to show up and lets say it's a 2006 cent struck on a struck 2005 dime (other than the date of 2006) -- were talking serious 5 figures!!!

Another aspect is the counting companies, I.E. Brinks, Wells Fargo, etc., their counting room personnel are trained to catch these errors. I know -- I met one of them and he told me. They usually have a consistent buyer set-up and sell them the errors that pop out from the counting/wrapping machines. Most major error dealers have a continual source of errors.

That's also why more and more are buying sealed bags straight from the Mint -- in hopes of finding those errors. Ask Chris about his signature Kennedy half.

Thank you Billy. I read most of the posts on errors but, have not actively searched very much. Your description has cleared up a lot of bits & pieces and put these in perspective for me...... so much to learn....and enjoy.

I asked a question on the other post a couple of minutes ago, but I can add that I have sold several MAD coins on Ebay. I have sold two or three dimes and half a dozen quarters, and none of them sold for more than $2. I have looked through many rolls, and the MAD seems to be much more common on the dime (probably because of the size).