• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1889 Morgan

9 posts in this topic

I'm new to collecting and new to the board, but I would like some opinions on this coin. My mom got it when she worked as a bank teller and has had it for quite a while. What I would like to know is what condition this coin is in and what it might be worth. Thanks for the help in advance. Also, sorry for the scan quality, I couldn't get my camera to take a good pic. I also don't know why my pic isn't working now.

Photo now attached.

1257158-Morgan.jpg.b3d3d6d9d80020612bfa9e6a946c4d41.jpg

Welcome to the board. You have a beautiful coin there. First, do not clean it in any way. There are some folks here that will tell you quite accurately the grade but, it is pretty high quality. Its rarity is not great enough to make you wealthy but it is a great start to an excellent collection.

Again, welcome to coin collecting. hi.gif

1257158-Morgan.jpg

You coin is a nice original AU coin. 1889 is a common year. Book Value is about $25.00, but from a dealer he would offer about $14 or so on it and sell it back to you for like $20.00 Thats what I think.

It looks like a very attractive coin and as already has been mentioned, please do not clean it. It isn't a high dollar coin, but it is quite pretty.

Great coin with character and originality. Being from your mother and received at a bank renders it priceless in my opinion.

Welcome to the boards! There is a ton of helpful information around here. Read, ask, contribute and enjoy.

As others have stated, its a fairly common Morgan dollar.

That said, its in fantastic condition for a circulated coin.

Great first coin to begin a collection with.

You may want to stop by a local coin shop, buy some cardboard flips (2"x2" square holders - a few bucks for a box of them) and put that coin safely into a holder.

Very nice coin - I really like morgans!

Welcome to the boards - there are some great folks here with a vast amount of experience and knowledge.