• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy the color....not the coin?

13 posts in this topic

Because of my limited budget especially after the marriage, I seldom buy something worth more than $100 these days. Instead, I'm enjoying buying pretty toned mercury dime(mostly non FB) and roosevelt dimes.

Well,while I like the design of merqury dimes, I don't really care for roosevelt dimes if not for the color....I'm buying them just because of pretty colors and I'm basically ignoring the design.

Do tone lovers usually buy coins with pretty colors regardless of design or do they stick with pretty color with their favorite design?

As long as I'm enjoying collecting them, it might be stupid to ask how other's are doing, but I'm just curious....how tone lovers are collecting coins? Is color the most important factor and design second?...sorry for stupid post and lowering the IQ level of this board,Mr. truth insane.gifwink.gif

toyonakataro,

IMO if you are going for color and not any particular design, than you don’t have much choice, you have to take them as you find them, as you have no control over what coin designs will tone nicely. You can always specialize in one type of coin, but you would probably have fewer coins because you narrowed the field. Also you would be passing on other nicely toned coins.

John

if you are collecting for eye appeal and not a specific coin, well theres your answer wink.gif I do both, I am working on some series, and also like to collect coins with great color. I have a some monster toned coins from series I dont collect, just cause they were there. I say get what you want and dont worry about it grin.gif

I buy the "look". So, if a coin has a nice look to it I generally buy it and don't worry about what series it is from.

I agree with the others. In my opinion the Ike is the most boring coin (well, ok- almost) out there.

Add pizzazz/color/luster/strike and it is one of the most appealing.

Same with Peace dollars or even Kennedy halves.

It sounds like you're on your way to collecting the way you like and enjoy and there is NEVER anything wrong with that.

Thanks everyone.

The key word is inexpensive to me.

As LucyBob said, rosevelt dimes aren't expensive even in GEMs(65,66) and that's why I mostly buy them to satisfy my demand for color...now if I could find monster toned seated coins for the same price.. wink.gif

I thought it very frustrating having my budget limited shortly after the marriage, but after I started collecting cheap toned coins, I rather find it fun to buy something within certain budget...sour grapes? maybe wink.gif

for me i like toned coins with exceptional eye appeal and exceptional qualities about the coin

............ for me i like pre 1950 coins and coins that have not only exceptional toning but coins with good to excellent technical appeal

coins are a personal thing and you have to deside what you want to do?

what are you trying to accomplish?

how much you got to spend?

and actually there is nothing wrong with what you want to do as long as it makes you happy! AND you are spending money you can afford to lose

if i was buying coins

the coin overall have to be very positive for me within my

parameters set by me

the only person who can answer this for you is yourself

BUT MOST IMPORTAntly

you must figure out how much you have to spend?

what are you looking to accomplish?

and buy coins only with money you can afford to lose

and if you do not follow this that is okie just let the buyer beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sincerely michael shy.gif

BUT MOST IMPORTAntly

you must figure out how much you have to spend?

what are you looking to accomplish?

Well michael....I don't know insane.gif

I think I'm going to find out the answer.....

Sincerely

Taro

I'll sacrafice color, or a "look", for technical quality. I HAVE TO!!!!!! I can't afford the monsters that are of superior quality.

I never stick to one series, but I do go for older stuff. Seated, Barber (yeah, I know, not that old) or bust stuff. I tried moderns once.....just didn't do it for me. smile.gif

At one time, I was an active collector of CC Double Eagles. Eventually, I became very dissatisfied, not just with their generally poor quality, but the paucity of originally toned gold. I moved elsewhere in my interests and became more involved in how a coin looked in terms of color, rather than just grade designation or 'brilliance'. Most brilliance is chemically induced, at least in the kinds of coins I am interested in. But a genuinely beautiful patina can be just as rare as the coin or even rarer. Indeed, while I still look for high grade coins, that will quickly go out the window for a beautifully toned coin. In fact, with gold, I find it almost impossible to discover really beautiful pieces that haven't been dipped. If you look at Doug Winter's site on the internet, you'll find that his coins are extremely well chosen for their naturally acquired, and untampered with, patina.

It really took my dealing with silver and copper, for me to begin to find out how wonderful this could all be. Unfortunately some of these coins can be bid to the stratosphere if someone else wants the coin badly enough. I tend to just let these coins go, as there are bound to be other's out there, at a different time, when the competitiveness won't necessarily be there. Then, you can get something of true value.

It took this sojourn into silver and copper for me, to develop enough, that I can now bring a better appreciation of nuance back to collecting gold coinage, and a better ability of how-to-choose. A much happier place to be, I think.

Your not at all stupid!!!

Collect what you want!!

Collect what you can afford!

If you like the tones and colors, then buy all means buy it!!!!

I personnally dont buy coins for their color.!! To ME it hides the beauty of the coin.

However, there are some coins that are just awsome!!!! With beautiful color from age!!!! VERY NICE!!!!!!!

But thats just me!!!

Every one likes something different!!!!

As long as you collect coins, thats all that counts!!!!

mike

--------------------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif