• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COIN HOLDERS?

2 posts in this topic

I purchased some quality coins years ago from coin galleries and auctions prior to NGC and PCGS grading being in vogue. They came in plastic flip holders with coin description and designated grading. I don't know if they are PVC or not, but they visually don't appear to be harmed. Is there any way of telling? I would like to have the coins graded by NGC. Should I remove them from their current holders and put them in new holders before I submit them for grading?

• Administrator

PVC flips are normally of heavier gauge and softer than non-PVC flips (such as Mylar flips), which are comparatively thin and brittle. Often older PVC holders become discolored or sticky.

Materials in PVC flips can breakdown and adhere themselves to the surface of your coins, ultimately causing irreparable surface damage. Holders of both materials are widely available from any coin shop or at a coin show, and collectors should familiarize themselves with both types of flips to make sure that the holders they are using are suitable for long term storage.

NGC recommends that all submissions be sent to us in non-PVC flips.