• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow the lead picture post.
9 9

10,649 posts in this topic

Obviously this is not a coin, but it does show the design the reverse of the Ike is based on, e.g. the Apollo 11 mission patch design. The US flag in the foreground was flown on Apollo 11, and directly below it you can see the mission patch design.

BRclosetA11.jpg

Actually the Lewis & Clark won't play but it's been really slow.

Let's go with it and I'll play off the 1806 date.

Image_0613.jpg

Image_0619.jpg

I checked the first page of this thing prior to posting hoping for some instructions and found that it had a bit of guidance but seemed to lack any clear direction. Where can I find the instructions? I thought it was somewhat left open to interpretation but clearly I am wrong. Is it only follow the lead if another coin of the exact same series is posted, another coin of the exact same date is posted...does it expand to the exact same denomination?...if a coin with an eagle on it could you jump to any coin with an eagle?....if a buffalo nickel is posted could you post a 2013 American Buffalo One Ounce Gold Proof? Where are the rules posted? Where does the creativity begin/end? Thank you for the clarification and I am terribly sorry for participating to screw it all up.

On page one there are things that go from a Roosie Dime to a Washington Quarter of different dates. Not sure how that happened and it was never clarified. Then there was a jump from a 38 Jefferson Nickel to a 29-S Nickel so does this mean we can jump to anything of the same denomination? They also went from a 32 Quarter to a 39 Jefferson Nickel...how does that happen? A 1929 quarter to some foreign thing from 1889? Just a couple of pages ago this thread went from a Washington Proof to a Jefferson Proof...so we can post any proof if a proof was posted? So then we can't do a Mint State anything to another Mint State? Then after that Jefferson Proof was posted, it jumped back to a Business Strike Washington Quarter of a different date...how that made sense I am not sure.

I tend to read instructions, look at examples and be fairly analytical. Please provide some clarification in your OP so any newbies to the thread will know EXACTLY what you view as acceptable...and maybe what you do not view as acceptable.

Since the last coin posted was a dollar, can I post another silver dollar, regardless of date or series?

Edited by KeyMan64

Basically you have to post a coin of the same type, in this case DBHE half, or you have to post a coin of the same date, which in this case would be 1799. Commemoratives are basically a semi-wild coin in that you can post different types of commemorative designs if commemoratives are the Type being posted.

Larry is essentially God on this thread. If things are dragging too long between posts on the thread he is the only one who can change to another Type.

Sy, I pulled up the cert for the last coin posted and that is a $1, not a half. I have looked at so many examples in this place (read above) that it is ridiculous. You know why?...there are no CLEAR and CONCRETE instructions in the OP. There needs to be a FULL LIST in the OP of everything deemed acceptable. Not just two examples. How the heck else is a newbie going to know how to play the game?...wait to be corrected and be asked to edit a post? That's just stupid.

:insane::makepoint:doh!(shrug):frustrated::screwy::pullhair:

Really, how long would it take to post the DOZEN (or whatever) examples in the OP of what is accepted? It would largely eliminate the need for Larry to police the thread...no one would need to guess. Make life easy for everyone please. The current rules are as clear as mud and the examples I have viewed and listed even had me confused.

Edited by KeyMan64

For those that wish, this is how it works.

To start it off, post a pic of any commemorative half or any coin dated 1936.

Let's say next someone post an image of a 1936 Washington quarter. You would now need to post a pic of the same type coin (a Washington quarter) or anything dated 1936.

Let's see some cool coins. smile.gif

I'm sorry I was so short. Got some really bad news today and it made me stupid.

We did add a new rule past what post #1 said.

A good friend here ask that medals be treated the same as Commemoratives. Any medal could follow any medal. It actually helped the thread from getting stuck.

Lets do this. It should put us back on track. 1806 Quarter.

Image_1407.jpg

Image_1409.jpg

Robec_DBD_1799ngcAU55.jpg

Be still my heart !!

I can only assume that there are a majority of folk here with Draped Busts

from the early 1800's ? I think not.

How about someone post an early 1800 anything else !!

Please forgive my friend KeyMan64 - he only likes pop top varieties with FB's !

I'm surprised he posted anything but a Mercury Dime. (shrug)

My opinion is that there is room for improvement with this thread. The OP never clarified anything I asked beyond his copy and paste from page one which is insufficient in the first place and the thread has sat dead for days. He could never explain the examples I posted of how one coin transitioned to others but was "allowed" I guess....or not even addressed it seems when others complained. Why this thread is pinned to the top, who knows? Sure it may have been popular and active at one time but when the "rules" for the thread allow it to be stuck for days on end and you cannot answer or explain questions then maybe you need to rethink your rules.

Edited by KeyMan64

My opinion is that there is room for improvement with this thread. The OP never clarified anything I asked beyond his copy and paste from page one which is insufficient in the first place and the thread has sat dead for days. He could never explain the examples I posted of how one coin transitioned to others but was "allowed" I guess....or not even addressed it seems when others complained. Why this thread is pinned to the top, who knows? Sure it may have been popular and active at one time but when the "rules" for the thread allow it to be stuck for days on end and you cannot answer or explain questions then maybe you need to rethink your rules.

Please understand that it is not possible to edit the OP. It's 7 years old.

The rules have not changed. Many images lost their host and no longer show.

That alone can make it hard to follow. I understand that but can not fix it.

Did I address that well enough?

The idea of this thread was for folks to have fun posting images. It was pinned to the top because at that time we had the traffic here to keep it fun. The rules are not what gets the thread stuck and there is nothing to rethink.

We no longer have as much traffic and many of us have posted most every image we have.

I hope I addressed that well enough.

And now I'll post the rules again in a simple way but in a few days, no one will see them.

#1 Have fun.

#2 Follow with the same date or coin type.

All Lincoln cents are one coin type.

All Jeff. nickels are one coin type.

All Mercury dimes are one coin type.

#3 Have fun.

With that said, The last quarter I posted put the thread back on track but I'm going to change things up a bit in hopes that others will jump in.

dime1945S.jpg

Next post should be any Mercury dime or any coin dated 1945.

Robec_DBD_1799ngcAU55.jpg

Be still my heart !!

I can only assume that there are a majority of folk here with Draped Busts

from the early 1800's ? I think not.

How about someone post an early 1800 anything else !!

Please forgive my friend KeyMan64 - he only likes pop top varieties with FB's !

I'm surprised he posted anything but a Mercury Dime. (shrug)

thats a wickedly cool coin. nice pic as well :)

Thanks Larry. I had NO IDEA that you could not edit the OP, even if you wanted to. Thank you for addressing these things. I just think the current rules are a bit tight considering the traffic for the thread. Only posting by same type or same date can make it tough for modern widget collectors like me (and it seems like a ton of other people) when someone posts a 1799 Dollar as was demonstrated. In that case being allowed to post any silver dollar or something else creative like what I tried would have kept things moving, heck I even have one (yes, only 1). lol. A rescue clause in the rules would help in this case...if no one has posted a reply in 12 hours then the thread can be rescued to be put back on track with a US Coin of the same denomination...or something like that. Hard to make changes when the OP can't be edited though. All of that garbage being said....I will try my best to participate when I can...but as already indicated, I only have widgets.

Top Pop 2/0 once it goes through attribution ATS....

1931-S_DDO_MS66FB_PCGS_2.jpg

... A rescue clause in the rules would help in this case...if no one has posted a reply in 12 hours then the thread can be rescued to be put back on track with a US Coin of the same denomination...or something like that...

I would agree with this, but given the traffic load at collectors-society I would recommend a longer reply period... something longer than 1 day, but shorter than 2... maybe 36 hours.