• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow the lead picture post.
8 8

10,606 posts in this topic

1907-wire-indian.jpg

:o:o

1910IndTenP63Comp.jpg

This one is really nice for a 63. Plus, believe it or not, the date is a bit better too. 10-D are more common for example. I used to say if some of the Philly dates (10P, 14P come to mind) "had mintmarks" with the same rarity they'd be a whole lot more expensive. (does this make any sense? lol )

Nice one.

jom

Yes, Jom, it is a really nice coin - and

I sold it not too long ago for a friend.

1907 - O - PCGS AU 58 CAC :

410e7c18.jpg

e97edfe9.jpg

Sweet Sac error!!

I could follow with another Sac but I think the error guys should go crazy with this.

:D

34i5m2q.jpg

What metal is that?

I feel it's on a Canadian $2 Toonie pure nickel outer ring planchet that wasn't punched for a center aluminum bronze insert. It's too heavy to be a $1 Loonie or struck on a Barbados $1. This example was once described as being struck on an Iceland commemorative planchet, but I haven't investigated this opinion yet as the diameter is considerably greater. My main reason for purchase is that I've always wanted a transitional Sac struck on a SBA planchet... Yet I snoozed and these have doubled in price over the years and now fetch about $16K.

34i5m2q.jpg

What metal is that?

I feel it's on a Canadian $2 Toonie pure nickel outer ring planchet that wasn't punched for a center aluminum bronze insert. It's too heavy to be a $1 Loonie or struck on a Barbados $1. This example was once described as being struck on an Iceland commemorative planchet, but I haven't investigated this opinion yet as the diameter is considerably greater. My main reason for purchase is that I've always wanted a transitional Sac struck on a SBA planchet... Yet I snoozed and these have doubled in price over the years and now fetch about $16K.

In order to be a legitimate error, it would have to be on something that could actually be mixed up. Canadian Toonies are struck at Canadian mints - the only way one of those planchets would get there would be someone actually putting it there - and thus wouldn't be an error as much as an intentional misstrike.

34i5m2q.jpg

What metal is that?

In order to be a legitimate error, it would have to be on something that could actually be mixed up. Canadian Toonies are struck at Canadian mints - the only way one of those planchets would get there would be someone actually putting it there - and thus wouldn't be an error as much as an intentional misstrike.

The Royal Canadian Mint in 1999 and 2000 supplied planchets for 5c pieces and Sacagawea Dollars to the U.S. Mint and to assist and alleviate the production constraints caused by the introduction of the new Sacagawea Dollar in 2000.

Huh, I didn't know that. Your theory still seems like a stretch, but I guess its more possible than I previously thought.

I didn't know posting a coin in the follow the lead would turn into a debate... Anyhow my coin along with the following 3 others below used to be in a NGC 4 piece multi-holder. It was part of the "Ohio Collection" of mint errors which David Lawrence acquired around 2005. This was one of the finest mint error collections assembled and which had some of the most amazing die caps known such as the MS67 IKE and MS67 split IHC. The 4 piece set of Sac errors was advertised on their site then for roughly $100K and then in 2006 spun through Heritage Platinum Night auction with a reserve of $70K which was not meet. Later encapsulated in separate NGC holders.

2i22d86.jpg

How did we go from an 1883 Liberty Nickel to a 2000 Sacagawea? This is supposed to be a "Follow The Lead Thread Picture Post" thread. I'm confused.

Edited by Gunny

How did we go from an 1883 Liberty Nickel to a 2000 Sacagawea? This is supposed to be a "Follow The Lead Thread Picture Post" thread. I'm confused.

Elbesaar posted a 1891 5c struck on a foreign planchet...

Which looked like an invatation to post another.

Huh, I didn't know that. Your theory still seems like a stretch, but I guess its more possible than I previously thought.

I didn't know posting a coin in the follow the lead would turn into a debate... Anyhow my coin along with the following 3 others below used to be in a NGC 4 piece multi-holder. It was part of the "Ohio Collection" of mint errors which David Lawrence acquired around 2005. This was one of the finest mint error collections assembled and which had some of the most amazing die caps known such as the MS67 IKE and MS67 split IHC. The 4 piece set of Sac errors was advertised on their site then for roughly $100K and then in 2006 spun through Heritage Platinum Night auction with a reserve of $70K which was not meet. Later encapsulated in separate NGC holders.

Thanks for the education! You have sufficiently schooled me on this one. :)