• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow the lead picture post.
9 9

10,663 posts in this topic

Larry, that is a SWEET Isabella! :applause:

Lee, nice looking Oregon. (thumbs u

Irvin, that's a good looking Stone Mtn., nice and frosty! :applause:

Winston, I like how that CA. looks. :applause:

Tom, that's definitely a YOWSAH of a Columbian! :applause: 66 or 67 seems reasonable.

I guess I should respond to my open question about the grade of the Columbian and it grades MS64 by PCGS. This is a classic case of a TPG blowing a grade completely and I think at least part of the reason is that it was graded exactly at the time that PCGS went from their green insert to the first generation blue insert. The coins graded at that time appear to have been graded at a very tight standard relative to grading since then or even before that time.

Thanks Bobby.

StoneM.JPG

These commems are fun. If you're willing to go circulated you can get a whole bunch of different coins with various designs and various historical significance for not too much money...

I guess I should respond to my open question about the grade of the Columbian and it grades MS64 by PCGS. This is a classic case of a TPG blowing a grade completely and I think at least part of the reason is that it was graded exactly at the time that PCGS went from their green insert to the first generation blue insert. The coins graded at that time appear to have been graded at a very tight standard relative to grading since then or even before that time.

Having owned quite a few of these in various grades I have determined they use the REAR sail ribs assist in grading these. I would have said 65 in a NGC holder and 64 in a PCGS.

Most MINT State coins graded 60-63 have very light to NO ribs in the rear sail area .. this coin portrays some nice ribbing ... Nice coin

The pictured coin below ( Which has a new owner ) is a 63 and you can compare the Rear Sail Ribs

44713-41870-1892_Columbian.jpg.e15e99390b89f7eb3335b11834f77b92.jpg

Beautiful coins Lee, Winston, and Bobby. Very nice Mike(thumbs u

Here is another comm. Always tuff for me to photo thru plastic. :sorry:

Picture011-4.jpg

Picture012-9.jpg

Edited by rrantique

I realize it is truly impossible to grade accurately and reproducibly from images, but if you can find MS64 graded classic coins of the quality of the Columbian that I shared previously then you should buy them by the cartload and sell them to me at a good profit. You will make some money, but I will become very wealthy. The Columbian in the PCGS MS64 holder wasn't an MS64 the day it was graded, the day before, the day after or any day since. PCGS looks at the totality of a coin and that coin is far nicer than an MS64.

I realize it is truly impossible to grade accurately and reproducibly from images, but if you can find MS64 graded classic coins of the quality of the Columbian that I shared previously then you should buy them by the cartload and sell them to me at a good profit. You will make some money, but I will become very wealthy. The Columbian in the PCGS MS64 holder wasn't an MS64 the day it was graded, the day before, the day after or any day since. PCGS looks at the totality of a coin and that coin is far nicer than an MS64.

I agree Tom. (thumbs u

Tom, I missed that last sentence. What does that mean?

Nice coins guy's. I agree with Tom on the value of these in the lower grades. If you find the right examples, you've done well. This ones an AU55: :)

STMNTOBV.jpg

STMNTREV.jpg