• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This NGC64 Walker has dark areas on high spots...

5 posts in this topic

Can you describe what's going on here? The pics aren't great, but as you can see, the high points are dark - this is apparent when tilted into the light, and it's only on the highest points, and the entire reverse rim! This is more than luster breaks.

Attached here is the reverse.

589a8aed60b43_179707-WLHdarkonhighspots.jpg.97777ccd4ac7d3cbe04e7e4070f0c6e6.jpg

Looks like the result of the coin rubbing against other coins in a roll. Much like the similar marks you will see on many Morgans from being in bags.

If it's only dark at certain angles then I would be inclined to say it is light wear and the coin would be AU58. If, however, it is truly dark at every angle, that is, there is actually dark color on it rather than a change in luster, then the coin is likely still MS but is toned in an odd pattern. I have seen this on a number of coins that are MS and generally do not like the look at all as I think it hurts the eye appeal and resale value. It was likely stored against something that toned it that way. I realize that that doesn't help much.