• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there anyone who was unable to get the Franklin Commems?

9 posts in this topic

In another thread, I told about receiving the French medal of Franklin & Genius (no, that isn't him as a youth, X-man! devil.gif) from www.talismancoins.com

I was browsing through the catalog that accompanied my order, and I noted that they are also selling the Ben Franklin Proof Silver Dollar Commemoratives for $69.95 each. They come with the original mint packaging and COA. If anyone missed the opportunity to get them from the U.S. Mint, this is $20 cheaper than most other dealers. Check it out!

Chris

What!? They're retailing for $90 now!? I'm amazed at that. I got the old Ben in pr/unc for $60/each on the marketplace. It looks like the mint finally shipped one of the young Ben coins to me after over 5 months. Still waiting on the other.

What are the Marine Corp commems doing now, Chris? I actually got 10 of each on those and 5 of the coin/stamp sets. Missed out on Ben, though. The sellout certainly took me by surprise.

As I mentioned to you in a PM, I think that the mint missed out by not minting a commem half dollar. Imagine the impedus it would have given the Franklin half dollar series. But, then again, maybe not. The Eisenhower commem dollar did nothing for the Eisenhower dollar series.

It looks like the mint finally shipped one of the young Ben coins to me after over 5 months. Still waiting on the other.

If you've waited this long, chances are that the Mint will ship you one that has been returned by another customer who was dissatisfied with it.

What are the Marine Corp commems doing now, Chris?

I haven't followed them too closely. Coin Values lists them at $90-95, MS & PF, but you won't believe this...........in MS70 they list it at $1050.

Missed out on Ben, though. The sellout certainly took me by surprise.

Did you see the Paris Mint restrike of the 1784 Franklin & Genius medal I posted?

Chris

I made the order in January. Don't know why they'd send me returned items? confused-smiley-013.gif

And, yes, for the umpteenth time, I'm seen those dagblasted French restrikes. frustrated.gif

shy.gif

My order was bounced by the Mint. I ended up buying two sets of four coins on EBay. I thought I paid too much, ( I probably did ) at $247.50 for the first set and $227.50 for the second set.

I checked out these sets yesterday, and there are quite a few available as a BIN for $229 or so. I saw one at a BIN at $249.

I can't believe I was shut-out by the Mint; I mailed my order form within a week of receiving it. Knowing that the max mintage was 400,000 coins I thought I had better act quickly. Not quickly enough it seems.

Now there is a flood of them on the market and I doubt they'll ever appreciate that much in price. The Mint made a huge mistake by allowing sales of 100 coins instead of 10 or 20. It shut out alot of small collectors. Its no wonder alot of collectors are upset with the Mint.

Victor, it sounds like you did pay too much. You can get both proofs from Talisman for $140. Why don't you order them from Talisman and flip them to recover some of your cost?

I can understand why you got bumped by the Mint, though. You shouldn't rely on the mail-in order form. For one, it is mailed to you after the release notice of the coins. By the time it gets to you, a few days are lost. Then, your return mail takes a few more days, so you can figure that you lost about 10 days in the process. A simple phone call would reduce all those days lost to an hour or less.

Chris

Victor, it sounds like you did pay too much. You can get both proofs from Talisman for $140. Why don't you order them from Talisman and flip them to recover some of your cost?

confused-smiley-013.gifI don't getcha. I paid $20 less than what they're selling the two for. confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gifI don't getcha. I paid $20 less than what they're selling the two for. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sorry, I haven't the slightest idea what I was reading or who was writing.

confused-smiley-013.gifC confused-smiley-013.gifH confused-smiley-013.gifR confused-smiley-013.gifI confused-smiley-013.gifS confused-smiley-013.gif

Sorry, I haven't the slightest idea what I was reading or who was writing.

confused-smiley-013.gifC confused-smiley-013.gifH confused-smiley-013.gifR confused-smiley-013.gifI confused-smiley-013.gifS confused-smiley-013.gif

Yep, in your case, that's quite common. foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gifhi.gif27_laughing.gifhi.gif27_laughing.gif