• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce, here is my Washington set

49 posts in this topic

just from the image.. I am going to say 1932, 1934, 1939 D, and 1940, but I could be off, but in hand I could tell you more. Thats just from an image.

from the 2nd and 3rd images... Here are the coins that I think could be AU range

1946 D

1944 S

Still a nice looking set!

1949 maybe but the others no way. I will take them to my next city coin club meeting and see what they say. I just joined last month and we have our next meeting on te 2nd tuesday of the month.

Thanks though on the comments, it helps me upgrade if I need to.

This looks like a good replacement.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1949-WASHINGTON-QUAR...1QQcmdZViewItem

That coin looks alright if you don't mind the fact it has been freshly dipped, or appears to be. The lighting used on that coin makes it a bit hard to determine its grade. I do think its MS but as to what number I can't say. I also think this coin would Body Bag due to the obverse scratch. Otherwise MS64 or so.

I hope they tell you I am wrong, but I am only looking at the pictures and not the coins. I hope for your sake I am. Just hard to tell much from a scan. I still like the set regaurdless.

Or this one, I have bought from him before, really nice coins.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1949-GEM-BU-Washingt...1QQcmdZViewItem

I think that one is an MS64, but here again looks like a fresh dip. Thats not always bad, but its a choice you will have to make. Strike on that one is a bit mushy, and a few hits keep it at MS64 in my mind. It all depends on where it finishes out as to what kind of deal it is. If you plan on bidding good luck.

The 32--never if you saw it in person.

34--tome has great luster

39D possibly

40 possibly

I will try to get some clos epics of those.

Luster does not always = MS.. There are some really nice AU coins with luster. But like I said in hand I could tell you alot more.

My first impression of your set is that there are a several AU coins in there, and they are most densely represented in the 1930s. Please keep in mind that the images are out of focus and I am trying to interpret what the coin would look like in-hand. However, almost every coin on your first page is an AU as far as I can tell.

For example, look at the image of your 1935. It shows lightness in color, relative to the surrounding detail, at the leading edge of the hairline from the forehead to the ear, shows the same lightness along the outline of the jawbone and appears to have light wear along the neck musculature. These are the high points of the obverse and this shows up on AU coins. Most of the coins on that page are AU and, if you want, I will pick out and list them for you.

I did not look at the next pages.

My first impression of your set is that there are a several AU coins in there, and they are most densely represented in the 1930s. Please keep in mind that the images are out of focus and I am trying to interpret what the coin would look like in-hand. However, almost every coin on your first page is an AU as far as I can tell.

For example, look at the image of your 1935. It shows lightness in color, relative to the surrounding detail, at the leading edge of the hairline from the forehead to the ear, shows the same lightness along the outline of the jawbone and appears to have light wear along the neck musculature. These are the high points of the obverse and this shows up on AU coins. Most of the coins on that page are AU and, if you want, I will pick out and list them for you.

I did not look at the next pages.

Tom you and me had the same thoughts

Yes, I see we have been picking up on the same points. Believe it or not, I have seen more AU sets, that people thought were MS, than I have seen true MS sets. Did that make sense? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Do you guys get on here just to make people feel bad. I like the way my collection is coming along. I would love to have every coin at MS66 or 65 but there is no way I could afford them. I hate spending 300-400 bucks for a some of them. I try to be a serious collector without spending tons of money. I will tell you what, I will take them to a dealer around me a see what they say and then I will let you guys know. If some are AU, which I know a couple probably are, then I can upgrade.

A couple of questions though for you guys, I posted a couple on EBay that would be good replacements, and you said they were dipped, once again what does that mean? Another is, if I am buying from EBay or from coin shows and dealers, and they are not MS like they say, then how do I buy what I am looking for? If I buy an MS 64 from a show and put it on here, then it seems like someone finds something wrong with it. Just wondering where everyone buys coins that no one will make a comment about.

Do you guys get on here just to make people feel bad. I like the way my collection is coming along. I would love to have every coin at MS66 or 65 but there is no way I could afford them. I hate spending 300-400 bucks for a some of them. I try to be a serious collector without spending tons of money. I will tell you what, I will take them to a dealer around me a see what they say and then I will let you guys know. If some are AU, which I know a couple probably are, then I can upgrade.

A couple of questions though for you guys, I posted a couple on EBay that would be good replacements, and you said they were dipped, once again what does that mean? Another is, if I am buying from EBay or from coin shows and dealers, and they are not MS like they say, then how do I buy what I am looking for? If I buy an MS 64 from a show and put it on here, then it seems like someone finds something wrong with it. Just wondering where everyone buys coins that no one will make a comment about.

Trust me on this – they were NOT trying to make you feel bad. They just want to educate you. You might be paying MS dollars for AU coins. Nothing is wrong with AU coins at all! But you should be getting what you are paying for. Asking questions – that’s good!

P.S. I edited this to point out that I don’t know the answers. I’m new at this too. Listen to Bruce and Tomb and learn – they are both good guys, really.

Hays

bc, Tom and Bruce are not trying to put you or your collection down. They are two very sincere and knowledgeable people who are just trying to give you some insight which is typical of most of the members, here. How often do you get the chance to learn from the successes and blunders of others before it costs you an arm and a leg.

Chris

I am not here to make you feel bad I am just trying to call it as I see it. I think your collection is a great one and not many of us can afford MS65 and MS66 coins for them all, not even me. This is not a slam on you or the coins, this is just for your own learning purposes. Like you has said in a previous post "If this helps me upgrade then.." As for being dipped, That means the coin was dipped in like an acetone solution recently, which is not always a bad thing, but for myself I try to find more original thick white skins or a hint of tone on them. The more washingtons you look at the more you will be able to tell what is original and whats not. You said you wanted MS62 or so and above, so being another collector, I am just trying to help with you keeping it at that level. Hope you will see this as help. I am in no way trying to make you feel bad. Just passing along what I have learned from collecting Washingtons myself.

Yes, I see we have been picking up on the same points. Believe it or not, I have seen more AU sets, that people thought were MS, than I have seen true MS sets. Did that make sense? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Makes 100% sense to me.. I just hope they paid AU prices for there coins

I'm not trying to make you feel badly at all, however I am trying to give you my experience and knowledge in this series so as to make your collection more enjoyable, and possibly more valuable, in the future.

I only pointed out that so many of the coins looked AU because I thought that you wrote you were attempting an MS62 or better set, and these coins do not look MS, given the parameters of the images provided. By the way, I see nothing wrong with the progress of your collection, it just doesn't seem to match what you are aiming for.

Dipping can be meant as either a quick dip in a mild acid or a dip in acetone. An acetone dip is not regarded as something negative, in fact, acetone can remove surface PVC from coins and actually inhibit degradation of the surfaces. An acid dip, which is more commonly associated with the term, is used to strip away a minute layer of surface metal and this leaves the bright, glistening surface below exposed. This also removes any toning on the coin and makes it white. However, an acid dip on a circulated coin usually looks "odd", for lack of a better term, and many MS coins that are dipped also look somewhat unusual. This is often because any patina that has developed over the years on your coin has now been stripped away. This is not always obvious unless one has a coin in-hand and someone can point out to them the difference in surface preservation. Many coins that look blast white and that are AU can be assumed to have been dipped, as well as many blast white MS coins that are 80 years old or older.

The best way to buy what you are looking for is to know how to spot an AU coin. Once you know the highpoints on each side of the design and recognize wear patterns on the coins then you will quickly spot most AU pieces.

Believe it or not, I'm trying to help; you should see what I write when I'm really trying to be a Richard Cranium! 893whatthe.gif