• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce, here is my Washington set

49 posts in this topic

Ok Bruce, as promised here is my Washington set - just the silver of course. My dad’s 1932 D is the coin that started me collecting. As you can see it is a pretty ugly, worn out coin. There are other coins of his here too - a couple in the 40s and 50s and almost all of the 60s were his. I tried to keep the surrounding coins close to the same wear as his. I missed terribly with the 32 S it’s probably VG.

Undoubtedly these will probably be the ugliest coins ever posted here, but they mean a lot to me and I wouldn’t trade them for an MS70 set.

Hays

washington14jq.jpg

washington22of.jpg

washington34jm.jpg

washington49vh.jpg

1932d2hl.jpg

There is absolutely no reason to apologize for the coins or the set, they are terrific! Does your set go through the clads, too? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

sweet looking set and a great story! I like circulated pieces as well. I will soon photo my set and post a link to it. Thanks for posting yours. That 32 D is nice for the grade.

Hays, what a wonderful set of Washington Quarters. What I like about this hobby is how each collector can define what he or she wants and why. You have a great story to go along with these coins. That makes them special. Thanks for sharing it with us.

There is absolutely no reason to apologize for the coins or the set, they are terrific! Does your set go through the clads, too? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, I've got most of the clads too – still missing a few. Plus, I didn’t know

at the time that some albums don’t have spaces for proofs. My album

includes the proofs but I didn’t bother getting any as they would look really out

of place with the rest of the coins.

It still feels weird posting a set of coins with so many in the Fair to AG

range because I see so many in the high MS range here. The only time I

buy coins in that grade is when I get toners. I like circulated sets, not

only because I can afford them, but because the coins were held and used

by the people of their day. My dad died in 1986 so you can imagine why I treasure this collection.

I look forward to seeing your set.

Hays

Yes, I've got most of the clads too – still missing a few. Plus, I didn’t know

at the time that some albums don’t have spaces for proofs. My album

includes the proofs but I didn’t bother getting any as they would look really out

of place with the rest of the coins.

It still feels weird posting a set of coins with so many in the Fair to AG

range because I see so many in the high MS range here. The only time I

buy coins in that grade is when I get toners. I like circulated sets, not

only because I can afford them, but because the coins were held and used

by the people of their day. My dad died in 1986 so you can imagine why I treasure this collection.

I look forward to seeing your set.

Hays

Just an FYI.... Most of your coins are better than Fair to Good... You have alot of VF coins in your set

Hays I see that your 1934 is rather dark. Do you know if it is regular motto or heavy motto? Sorta hard to try and make out via the pics...

Hays:

You have a wonderful set there that I'd be more the happy to own! As weird as it sounds, that looks more like a coin collection (from a TRUE collector) than it would if they were all MS.

No only is it great that your dad passed it down to you, but most were FREE! Can't beat that.

This is a set that I've thought about starting after I finish the one I'm on right now (only 4 coins to go!). Any advice from you or Bruce on how to proceed? I'm sure I want to start with the keys first and build around them.

Thanks

I would get the key dates first. It kind of sets the bar for the rest of the set. Of course sometimes you have to get what you can find. That is, get others as long as the coins meet your standard for your set.

Washington Quarters is a great set. Someday I would like to do another one in a higher grade.

Hays

Thanks Hays.

Have you ever done a set where your keys are not the same grade as the non-keys?

From what I've seen, some of those keys are going to be impossible to get in high grades.

Yes, I’m doing a Morgan year set with all the coins ranging from VF to XF.

If you are relatively new to the hobby like I am then this post by James

is a must read : http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...e=0#Post1187270

It makes a very good argument for collecting coins that are similar to one

another, regardless of the grade. The most under appreciated grades are

AU and XF. You can put together a beautiful set in XF if you choose

wisely and are picky about the overall look. If you went AU you could put

together a set with lots of luster! I wish I had read this when I just started collecting.

It wouldn’t have changed my Washington quarters but it would have had an impact on everything else I’ve done.

There are deal-breaking coins in just about every series for me in the MS grade. Ike dollars or Susan B. Anthony dollars are exceptions and a good choice if

you are really itching to do a higher grade MS set on limited

funds.

Keep in mind that I’m giving this advice and have yet to follow it!

Some gift-coins from my sister tanked my Morgan set. She did great in

the grade department but the toning of the coins are all over the place.

Right now I’m thinking of doing a Walking Liberty half set, probably in a VG to Fine grade. Nothing is wrong with swinging lower in the branches! Besides - knowledge, and good eye, and a stubbornness to get the right coin will get you a better collection than a guy with only deep pockets. That’s

where my head is at these days! thumbsup2.gif

Hays

Yes start with the Keys if at all possible Circ or UNC Sets, both are still a great accomplishment in thier own right. Hays your 34 looks to be a Regular motto, which is the most common of the 1934's. Sweet coin and nice set. I might try to put a well matched circ set together next.

The interesting thing about the WQ series is that the key dates are relatively common in high grades (MS63 and up), but the prices are getting prohibitive for many collectors.

If you are determined to obtain a key date WQ (1932-D, 1932-S, 1934-D, 1935-D or 1936-D) and want the coin in MS then I would suggest finding an MS63 or better, preferably MS64, 1936-D as this is incredibly undervalued, though it has climbed in the last few years.

Believe me, I have been intimately involved with this series for many years.

I would like to know how you guys put the pictures on here. I would like to show you my set that I have been working on but don't know how to put the pics on.

You have to host your picture on the web first. There are a bunch of free web hosting places, here is one : http://www.imageshack.net

Once you picture is hosted, type and then the web address of your picture then put

Test it here http://boards.collectors-society.com/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=test

Hays

You can host your image as has been suggested, or you can post an image as an attachment as long as it is 200kb or less. Once you attach your image you may then open the attachment, copy the address and then embed that address in your reply as an image.

ok here is my set, I hope you all can see them fine. Sorry the scans aren't the best.

I am trying to at least go for MS62 or higher. I still have a couple left to buy. 1964-1998 are all from Mint and Proof sets so I didn't pic those.

Everything is complete except the 5 on the first page. I have the 37S coming.

wash16bi.jpg

wash24sg.jpg

wash33ao.jpg