• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Half Dime showed up in the mail today

18 posts in this topic

I wish half dimes would show up in my mailbox. I suppose I'll have to send out some invitations.

Take a look on eBay,you can find some nice lower grade circulated example for under $20...

Probably easier to find those than bloody AU liberty head nickels. I looked at almost 60 listings that showed when I searched "AU" under lib 5c, and I saw perhaps 2 or 3 that were actually AU, not "XF/AU" . Maybe I'm just being too picky (but I doubt it).

Just to keep things on topic, somewhat - I really like the toning on the reverse - gorgeous green coloring contrasting with the reddish color. I was a little distracted by the color-bare patch along Libby's right arm. Overall, pretty coin, I thought.

Probably easier to find those than bloody AU liberty head nickels. I looked at almost 60 listings that showed when I searched "AU" under lib 5c, and I saw perhaps 2 or 3 that were actually AU, not "XF/AU" . Maybe I'm just being too picky (but I doubt it).

Heh,kind of like searching MS-66 under morgans foreheadslap.gif

You made me jealous AGAIN 893naughty-thumb.gif

Agree with HaydenTubbs-----it looks like V-5 and I also think it's somewhere around 64.

Nice catch thumbsup2.gif Is it attributed as V-5 on the holder?

I've already spent more than I should this year and had decided to remain patient for the rest of this year, but you made me want to get another seated half dime for me......tiny coins, but addictive.

That is an absolutely gorgeous coin and I like the re-punched date very much!

By the way, do you think it might like to see the inside of my mailbox? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for the comments. I was almost expecting someone to mention AT. 893whatthe.gif

This coin is in an NGC MS63 holder. There are some tiny tics that don't really show up in the image that keep the grade down. I can't really see them without a loupe. Also the obverse surface has a bit muted luster.

I don't believe that NGC will attribute Valentine varieties, so the V-5 is not noted on the holder. This coin was auctioned last November by Heritage. I vaguely remember seeing it then but the bidding went higher than I was willing to go based on the poor pictures. The Heritage pictures made it look like the color was scratched off with a fingernail in the fields. I guess it still looks a little like that on the left side of the obverse.

The winner of the Heritage auction put the coin up on ebay and I snagged it about $40 cheaper than it went for at Heritage. Neither the Heritage auction or the ebay auction mentioned the double punching of the date. When I first put the coin under the loupe I noticed the doubling and got out my copy of Blythe. The V-5 is the only variety for 1845 that warrented its own page in the book. There is also a picture of it in Breen's. I'm not sure how significant the variety is now, 15 years since the book was published. Significant or not, it was a pleasant surprise for me.

I also noticed an apparent die scratch on the base below the left side of the shield. It is raised on the coin and could also be a die crack, but it seems too regular for a crack. I don't know if this is a normal characteristic of the V-5 or not.

Victor, the coin is pretty close in hand to what you see in the pictures but just a touch lighter. I tend to underexpose a bit rather than overexpose. I hate a washed out looking picture.

Toyo, you can never quit looking for half dimes. It gets in the blood. Your collection is many times superior to mine and you would be embarrassed to have such a lowly graded piece in your collection. devil.gif

Tom, this tiny coin was seriously traumatized by being bound and taped up in a box and stuffed in my dark mailbox. I think it will take a long time to recover and I'm not sure what would happen if I were to show it the inside of your mailbox. For the safety of the coin I feel that I must keep it here with me. We are, after all, caretakers of these precious little pieces of history.

I wanted to bring this up again after I noticed a similar coin auctioned on eBay.

1845 Half Dime, NGC MS61 FS-000.7

The auction title says MS62 but the seller corrected it to MS61. While NGC doesn't attribute Valentine numbers they do attribute Cherrypickers numbers. This one is attributed and the seller hypes up the certified population and managed to get a very nice price for the coin. It is an attractive piece as far as I can tell from the images.

While mine is an MS63 it is not attributed on the slab. I also didn't know it was this variety when I bought it. For reference, I paid around $220 for mine, about half what this MS61 sold for. If I was planning to sell it I am sure that I would get it reholdered with the FS number first after seeing this auction. But I plan to hold this one for a long time. grin.gif

Of course, I noticed that eBay auction, too. While the coin has pretty color, I tought the surface wasn't original and unattractive. Also the price went higher than I was willing to bid.

Yours looks much much nicer than the one on eBay and your statement that your not going to sell it soon makes me irritated and annoyed again sumo.gifwink.gif

If I was planning to sell it I am sure that I would get it reholdered with the FS number first after seeing this auction.

NGC has announced that they will discontinue attributing to FS numbers soon.

According to JT Stanton, Anderson Press owns Whitman which now owns CPG, and Anderson Press owns ANACS, so NGC sees CPG as a competitor now.

NGC announcement