• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got a little surprise...

19 posts in this topic

I’ve spent the past three weeks painting some of portraits for a nice couple in Lexington, KY. The job went smoothly and the couple was pleased with their paintings of their two dogs. This left with a little extra cash for new coins and with a little help from Chris I also located a dealer in Lexington. Things were looking good! The dealers (a man and wife team) were very nice and knowledgeable. I purchased two coins for my type set but was a little bummed they didn’t have any Morgans that matched a year set I’m putting together. First here are the coins I got – forgive my poor photography. I scanned them too:

3f99de3287.jpg

What I didn’t know was my sister had a little surprise for me. While I was away some guy passing through town stopped into my sister’s gallery to do a little shopping. Turns out he was a coin dealer. My sister took the opportunity to do some trading: coins for framing. She got me a fistful of Morgans as well as several coins for my type set. There were 17 coins in all. Here are the Morgans:

3a9d50ef7f.jpg

As you can see, I’m no longer assembling a year set with an even color. I’ve now got some sort of strange polka-dot collection going. (sigh) The 1893 is my original coin. Her 1890 goes well with it and though the scan doesn’t show it the 1894 is a close match too. Everything else is all over the place. An 1890 coin is used for the New Orleans mint mark. This coin might look like it goes with my coin too but in hand you can easily see it has been cleaned – and not well either. It looks like it was scrubbed with a Brillo pad. At least she had the sense to get the expensive Morgans in PCGS holders – 1894, 95, and the CC (1890). Now the other coins:

c038ea6fd9.jpg

Cleaned, cleaned, cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned. The 1917 SLQ and the Barber quarter are the only ones that look original. The SLQ has some ugly toning and a very weak date. Sigh. I don’t mean to complain – I’m actually lucky that I have a family member that supports my hobby, BUT…

Oh well. I didn’t have the heart to tell her the truth about her trade – she was so proud of herself. It looks like I’m going to have to start a second set of books: One for my real collection and one for my sister to “help” me with. Unfortunately, she has no desire to learn anything about the hobby – maybe I can get her to only get PCGS and NGC graded coins, that would at least help the situation.

Hays

Sorry for the huge pics - I haven't got this posting thing down yet.

You all are too nice. Here I am whining about my sister getting

me a bunch of cleaned coins when all the while I should be

happy my sister got me a bunch of coins PERIOD. She is a great sis.

Hays

I've been in much the same situation with my dear mother. Sometimes, the solution is just to sell off the duds and pick up a better coin (then hope mom doesn't find out). Hee hee.

You all are too nice. Here I am whining about my sister getting

me a bunch of cleaned coins when all the while I should be

happy my sister got me a bunch of coins PERIOD. She is a great sis.

Hays

Look at it this way..... These coins will now hold more value than any book can ever say, they are now a family gift and well be invaluable.

I've been in much the same situation with my dear mother. Sometimes, the solution is just to sell off the duds and pick up a better coin (then hope mom doesn't find out). Hee hee.

Dragon, there is another alternative. Go to your Mom, give her a big hug and say, "Thanks, Ma! Do you remember that (so-and-so) coin you got me a while back? Well, I was able to trade it for a higher-grade example. If it wasn't for you, I never would have been able to afford it." Then giver her another hug and tell her you love her.

Chris

Dragon, there is another alternative. Go to your Mom, give her a big hug and say, "Thanks, Ma! Do you remember that (so-and-so) coin you got me a while back? Well, I was able to trade it for a higher-grade example. If it wasn't for you, I never would have been able to afford it." Then giver her another hug and tell her you love her.

Chris

God bless the children who treat/treated their moms right! It truly means alot to them. My brother, who treated my mom poorly, is now plagued with guilt since she passed away a couple of weeks ago.

Great advice, Chris!

Look at it this way..... These coins will now hold more value than any book can ever say, they are now a family gift and well be invaluable.

You are right about that Bruce. I would never trade them or even let my

sister know her choice in coins isn't what I would have chosen. She was

so proud of the gift and I’m proud to have a sister like her. These two sets

will be ours to work on together – knowing her these won’t be the only coins

she surprises me with.

I do think I’ll start working on another set though. I really want to do one were

all the coins have the same toning and wear. Hopefully I won’t talk about it

much until I’m done. grin.gif

I’m thinking Walking Liberty halves…

Hays

Those are some great coins.

I really like it when my family supports my addiction.. I mean obsession... I mean, hobby. I tell them not to buy me any coins, though, because they don't know what they are buying: I let them buy me books ( you can never have enough), or products straight from the mint (very low risk).

Put them in an old Wayte album, appreciate them being from your sister, and in a few years you'll have some of the most beautiful toned coins you could imagine! headbang.gif893applaud-thumb.gifgrin.gifthumbsup2.gif

Those are some great coins.

I really like it when my family supports my addiction.. I mean obsession... I mean, hobby. I tell them not to buy me any coins, though, because they don't know what they are buying: I let them buy me books ( you can never have enough), or products straight from the mint (very low risk).

27_laughing.gif I like to call it my "hobb-session"

Books - that's a great idea, but it still won't keep her from buying coins too. She gets too excited in the gift giving department. Every year I get at least 4 or 5 birthday presents from her. My B-day is in Oct., she will find the perfect present for me in Feb., BUT she can't wait for my B-day to give it to me. This usually happens several times a year. Once she actually did it every single month for a whole year. I would be the oldest man alive if I counted every birthday I've celebrated. grin.gif

I'm sure you won't be surprised to learn that I have NEVER had a fight with her - NOT ONE fight our whole lives! You can't fight with someone that gives you everything you want. wink.gif

Hays

Hays----Great story----Great sister---Maybe you can slowly get her interested?? In any event, your idea of the NGC and PCGS slabs will help a lot. Collecting Walkers is something that I would recommend. You can carry it from a cheap set to a real expensive one. It can be a year adventure or a lifetime pursuit. All depends on how much time and money that you are willing to invest into the effort.

Physics--fan-----Great idea about the books. Just cannot ever have enough of them.

Chris----You are a real "PRO" my friend. As always!!!

Victor----Sometimes pride or stubborness or many other things prevent one from ever doing the things that we know, in our heart, are the right things to do. Your brother did not, for whatever reasons, have enough Charity in his heart. Now that your mom is gone---he realizes that his chance in this life is gone. And he is sorry. Being the good guy that you are, you can help him through it. Reminding him that your mom did indeed love him too. Remind him that, if he is now a better person towards others, that it will help him in his future life. And make his mom proud of him too!! Bob [supertooth]

Chris

That's true. Really, what I was saying was meant tongue-in-cheek. I'm very thankful that I have such a strong and loving relationship with my mom. She's always been there for me, and I have always tried to be there for her as well. Moms are the best!