• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Person needs help with coin questions

23 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm wondering if any of you would be willing to help me out with a question about coins. I have 3 coupons from NGC that will expire in a few months, and I hate to see them go to waste. I used to love saving 'special' coins as a kid and still have that meagre collection, as well as some coins my grandfather gave me. Nothing is mint or uncirculated or anything. It was all just 'pocket change' at one time. But a few of them are old (by my standards) or interesting (again, using my standards, which doesn't mean much) and I'm wondering if anything is worth slabbing.

I've scanned some of the older coins (all 1800's) to give you an idea. Some are really dark, so detail is difficult to see. I'm guessing that's bad. You can find the scans on this web page: coins. Just click on the thumnail for a full scan.

If they're all junk, you won't hurt my feelings if you say so. If you swear at them and pray that the mint had never defaced its press with such dross, I'll think you odd, yet won't be angry. But if any are worth a couple of bucks if they were slabbed (remember, we're talking free coupons that I can't pass on and will expire, so the risk is basically nothing), then please let me know! I have more than the ones pictured, but I thought this would be a start.

I humbly thank you in advance.

-- Joanna

If they will slab them for free, why not.

Glen

Exactly, Glen! So the trick now is to figure out which 3. That's why I need the help of you fine experts.

-- Joanna

Joanna,

I don't know how these "coupons" work but if anyone can use them, I would sell them, here or on ebay. If YOU have to specifically use them, I'd probably send in the 1864, 1870, and 1890. BTW, each of these coins are worth about $5-$15 apiece.

Joanna,

I don't know how these "coupons" work but if anyone can use them, I would sell them, here or on ebay. If YOU have to specifically use them, I'd probably send in the 1864, 1870, and 1890. BTW, each of these coins are worth about $5-$15 apiece.

It would be much better if I could sell or trade them, because obviously I don't have a coin that is truly slabworthy. But they're nontransferable. I got them from joining the collector's society. I used the comic coupons, but still have coin and card coupons. Hate to waste them. If we could trade them, I'd switch my coin coupons for someone else's comic coupons and then we'd both be happier. But alas, that's not how it works.

$5-$15 bucks, huh? Maybe I should get a metal detector.

Best wholesale price from a picture scan:

1853-$15

1864-$11

1870-$10

1885-$12

1890-$11

1893-$5

Coupons would be better served by selling/trading them. Find a coin show and work out a deal with someone/dealer. I don't know what you mean by nontransferrable.........unless they ask for a drivers license before grading or engrave your name on the slab.

What nights do you perform your routine and where? grin.gif When are you scheduled for the Tonight Show? 27_laughing.gif

I can't sell or trade the coupons, because those are the rules. They all have my name on them, and are registered to me at my address. If you sent me your coins and I sent them in as my own, got them graded, returned and then I forwarded them to you, that would work. But who would want to do that?

Listen, I'd love to sell the coupons -- they're for 3 coins graded on the express tier with "a value of $150" (according to the coupon). I know that slabbing my coins is as useless as slabbing beat-up copies of non-key bronze comics (i.e. not worth the plastic). In a perfect world, I could trade them for comic coupons one of you guys has from joining the CS so we'd both get use out of them. But I'd have to send you comics and you'd have to send me coins.

Maybe I'll just pick out 3 coins that have meaning to me, and slab them for sentimental reasons. At least they'll be protected, right?

Thanks for the help, guys! I wasn't expecting some undiscovered fortune, so no big deal. I appreciate your kindness in looking up the values, and not making fun of me to my face. Feel free to do so privately. Ah heck, feel free to do so publicly. I'm a good sport.

-- Joanna

Are these coupons transferable?

Pat, I don't think they are. I wish they were I have certificates for SportsCards, and Comic Books that I would gladly trade for a coin coupon.

Are these coupons transferable?

Pat, I don't think they are. I wish they were I have certificates for SportsCards, and Comic Books that I would gladly trade for a coin coupon.

Yes! This is what I'm talking about. ArtR won't use his comic coupon, I could. I shouldn't use my coin coupon, Art could. It's a waste! He could get 3 coins express graded, and I could get 3 comics express graded. It would make 2 people so happy if we could trade. But we can't.

Suggestion gossip.gif : If you're willing, post your geographic location (i.e. city) here. Then people in that region can IM you privately, and you can consider getting together for a trade. It's just a matter of trust. Many of the folks on this forum seem very trustworthy. If you feel okay about the person, I can't see any reason why you can't swap collectibles temporarily and give each other the benefit of what would otherwise go to waste.

Side benefit: you'll have a new coinee friend, and he or she will have a new comic-ee (or whatever they call book fans) friend 893applaud-thumb.gif.

Good luck!

Beijim

Suggestion gossip.gif : If you're willing, post your geographic location (i.e. city) here. Then people in that region can IM you privately, and you can consider getting together for a trade. It's just a matter of trust. Many of the folks on this forum seem very trustworthy. If you feel okay about the person, I can't see any reason why you can't swap collectibles temporarily and give each other the benefit of what would otherwise go to waste.

I'm in Los Angeles (the valley). Feel free to ask any of the comic guys, or Arch, as to my character.

Side benefit: you'll have a new coinee friend, and he or she will have a new comic-ee (or whatever they call book fans) friend 893applaud-thumb.gif.

I'm fairly certain we're called "geeks".

-- Joanna

Maybe I'll just pick out 3 coins that have meaning to me, and slab them for sentimental reasons. At least they'll be protected, right?

-- Joanna

That would be an option if you don't go and get a coin(s) that could better benifit from slabbing.

But then again, collecting is not just supposed to be about money.

If a few of the coins make you smile when you look at them then by all means slab'em and they will be "protected" for many years to come.

At least after you get them slabbed they should be worth a few dollars more, another benni from the free grading/slab.

Keep your chin up Joanna, things will get better.

PS We would never make fun of your coins.....now the comic book collecting............that's wide open to pokin' a stick at!!! grin.gif

I'm fairly certain we're called "geeks".

I love it. No shame in that - so was Bill Gates smirk.gif. Ever since I got "Chasing Amy" on DVD, I've had a whole new appreciation for the comics world.

Beijim

That would be an option if you don't go and get a coin(s) that could better benifit from slabbing.

An ignorant newbie, such as I, should not go shopping for slabbable coins. I'd get taken. Do they slab bills? I have a dollar that has a print error (ink transfer from the front of another bill on the back of one).

But then again, collecting is not just supposed to be about money.

I should slab my health insurance -- now that's worth something!

If a few of the coins make you smile when you look at them then by all means slab'em and they will be "protected" for many years to come.

I was thinking about one from my grandfather and one from my father. The third would just be 'pretty'.

At least after you get them slabbed they should be worth a few dollars more, another benni from the free grading/slab.

Good point. But I'd have to pay postage, and at the prices quoted, I'd be lucky to break even!

Keep your chin up Joanna, things will get better.

They will indeed. There are a lot of good things on the horizen. I am generally a very happy person.

PS We would never make fun of your coins.....now the comic book collecting............that's wide open to pokin' a stick at!!! grin.gif

27_laughing.gif Yeah, but because of my collecting, I got a chance to write some comics. It was awfully fun getting a chance to contribute to America's mythology. Think of yourself getting a chance to design a coin. Wouldn't that be cool?

-- Joanna

Having significant input on the design of coinage would be very cool and, likely, most of us could come up with something far more artistic than the hollow, pedestrian slugs of metal our government currently issues. Oh, could you tell, you hit one of my hot buttons. rantpost.gif

As for your coins, they really aren't the grade/date combination that you would typically see slabbed. If they have sentimental value to you then you likely would not be selling them anytime soon. Therefore, any increase in liquidity that they would gain from being slabbed would be cancelled out. It would be nice if NGC would allow for the coupons to be transferable. They are no doubt non-transferable so that NGC can say you get more benefits than you will use, thus increasing the apparent value of becoming a member of their club. They know this. It is marketing. 893frustrated.gif

If you have to have three coins slabbed, I would go with the large cent and the two two cent pieces. However, the images are so dark that I cannot tell if they are corroded or have active verdigris. If either is the case then they will come back bagged and not slabbed and you will not get anything for your postage. 893whatthe.gif

I would suggest that you perform some sort of trade with a coin board member. It would be best if you sent the coupons to them and then they sent the coins to NGC. NGC would then mail them to you and you could forward them to the other member. In return you would receive whatever you negotiate. There would no doubt be many people interested in this. The more I write about it, the better it sounds! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good luck! smile.gif

Having significant input on the design of coinage would be very cool and, likely, most of us could come up with something far more artistic than the hollow, pedestrian slugs of metal our government currently issues. Oh, could you tell, you hit one of my hot buttons. rantpost.gif

You guys should have a contest on the board to design a new coin. Just to give that creative flow an outlet. Someone could offer a prize (a nice, but not too expensive coin perhaps). It would be really fun to see what true coin fans would come up with. You could all vote on the winner, or have whoever offers the prize make the decision.

As for your coins, they really aren't the grade/date combination that you would typically see slabbed. If they have sentimental value to you then you likely would not be selling them anytime soon. Therefore, any increase in liquidity that they would gain from being slabbed would be cancelled out. It would be nice if NGC would allow for the coupons to be transferable. They are no doubt non-transferable so that NGC can say you get more benefits than you will use, thus increasing the apparent value of becoming a member of their club. They know this. It is marketing. 893frustrated.gif

If you have to have three coins slabbed, I would go with the large cent and the two two cent pieces. However, the images are so dark that I cannot tell if they are corroded or have active verdigris. If either is the case then they will come back bagged and not slabbed and you will not get anything for your postage. 893whatthe.gif

I suspect they would be "bagged". I didn't realize this was possible, as comics are never rejected. But knowing that this happens with coins, I haven't a chance, I think. As I said, they were just pocket change and look it. Well-traveled, steeped in history, but no more than legal tender.

I would suggest that you perform some sort of trade with a coin board member. It would be best if you sent the coupons to them and then they sent the coins to NGC. NGC would then mail them to you and you could forward them to the other member. In return you would receive whatever you negotiate. There would no doubt be many people interested in this. The more I write about it, the better it sounds! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good luck! smile.gif

I would love to do this. Especially if the coin collector has some 'useless' comic coupons I could use. We'd both be happy with that arrangement. And I think it could be done with a minimum of risk (I have some ideas). So, anyone out there have 3 coins that could use free express tier grading? And if so, do you have a comic coupon from the Collector's society?

If you're thinking about it, feel free to check out my ebay feedback. I'm jsandsmark on ebay. Look me up.

-- Joanna

I didn't realize this was possible, as comics are never rejected.

This may be slightly 893offtopic1.gif, for which I apologize, but I'm curious.

What happens when someone submits a comic that's obviously been altered? For example, someone sends in a book that's either a complete forgery or has had some coloration added in some way to restore fading? Sorry if this question is just dumb because, for example, nobody ever does this, but the equivalent occurs with coins all the time.

Beijim

What happens when someone submits a comic that's obviously been altered? For example, someone sends in a book that's either a complete forgery or has had some coloration added in some way to restore fading? Sorry if this question is just dumb because, for example, nobody ever does this, but the equivalent occurs with coins all the time.

Beijim

Forgery isn't a problem, but the rest of it happens all the time. It's called "restoration" and it is noted by CGC with a purple label, instead of a univeral blue label. It's often caled 'THE PURPLE LABEL OF DEATH' (PLOD) because any restoration at all, even something relatively minor like non-invasive cleaning and pressing, a dot of glue or a slight color touch (we're talking a tiny dot or two of color) is perceived as not original, and therefore worth a fraction of guide. Some books have major restoration, and this includes cleaning, pressing, tear seals, color touch, pieces added, spine reinforcement and so on. These are called "Frankenstein Books" because there is the impression they've been totally rebuilt from scavenged parts.

One of the reasons CGC has become such a success is because they check for restoration. The vast majority of comic collectors can't detect restoration, especially the minor stuff. For example, I have a black light that I use to try to catch color touch (it glows under a black light) but it's not foolproof, and it's only good for certain materials used in color touch.

CGC will accept any comic. They have even slabbed individual pages! Someone submitted some pages from Action 1 (the first appearance of Superman, the beginning of comic books as we know them, and the ultimate holy grail) and had them slabbed individually. Incomplete books like these always get the lowest grade (0.5 on a scale to 10.0) but they actually have quite a lot of value because it's Action 1.

People sell coverless comics, comics with pages missing, torn comics -- you name it, it's been sold... and slabbed. Golden age collectors (books from 1938-1956 are GA) are far more forgiving because the books are more rare, and high grades are especially difficult to get. Expensive, too.

I hope that gives you some insight into my hobby. By the way, every year there is something called "free comic book day". You can go into any comic book shop and they'll give you a comic for free. It's a nice way to check out what's going on in comics, if you want to recapture a youthful passion, or just want to see what everyone is talking about in the forum down below.

-- Joanna

Beijim

Wow! 0.5 Comics slabbed. Now that sounds like my kind of hobby. (If you knew me you would know that I'm being serious and not a wise guy.)

Forgery isn't a problem, but the rest of it happens all the time. It's called "restoration" and it is noted by CGC with a purple label, instead of a univeral blue label. It's often caled 'THE PURPLE LABEL OF DEATH' (PLOD) because any restoration at all, even something relatively minor like non-invasive cleaning and pressing, a dot of glue or a slight color touch (we're talking a tiny dot or two of color) is perceived as not original, and therefore worth a fraction of guide. Some books have major restoration, and this includes cleaning, pressing, tear seals, color touch, pieces added, spine reinforcement and so on. These are called "Frankenstein Books" because there is the impression they've been totally rebuilt from scavenged parts.

One of the reasons CGC has become such a success is because they check for restoration. The vast majority of comic collectors can't detect restoration, especially the minor stuff. For example, I have a black light that I use to try to catch color touch (it glows under a black light) but it's not foolproof, and it's only good for certain materials used in color touch.

CGC will accept any comic. They have even slabbed individual pages! Someone submitted some pages from Action 1 (the first appearance of Superman, the beginning of comic books as we know them, and the ultimate holy grail) and had them slabbed individually. Incomplete books like these always get the lowest grade (0.5 on a scale to 10.0) but they actually have quite a lot of value because it's Action 1.

People sell coverless comics, comics with pages missing, torn comics -- you name it, it's been sold... and slabbed. Golden age collectors (books from 1938-1956 are GA) are far more forgiving because the books are more rare, and high grades are especially difficult to get. Expensive, too.

I hope that gives you some insight into my hobby. By the way, every year there is something called "free comic book day". You can go into any comic book shop and they'll give you a comic for free. It's a nice way to check out what's going on in comics, if you want to recapture a youthful passion, or just want to see what everyone is talking about in the forum down below.

-- Joanna

Very cool, Joanna.

Thanks for taking the time to share some insight into what you guys down there (in the netherlands below the coin forum boards grin.gif) do for fun. The free comic day is neat. They don't do that for coins... heh heh. Well, except if you happen to attend a SPECIAL LONG BEACH LUNCHEON, in which case you get a one-of-forty SPECIAL STATEHOOD QUARTER sample slab that makes the rest of us jealous, jealous, jealous.

A few years ago I was at a newsstand that had a lot of comics. I picked up an X-Men next generation or something that looked really cool. It was the first issue of that new series, so I've kept it in mint condition. I'm gonna submit it with one of my comics coupons.

Beijim

Very cool, Joanna.

Thanks for taking the time to share some insight into what you guys down there (in the netherlands below the coin forum boards grin.gif) do for fun. The free comic day is neat. They don't do that for coins... heh heh. Well, except if you happen to attend a SPECIAL LONG BEACH LUNCHEON, in which case you get a one-of-forty SPECIAL STATEHOOD QUARTER sample slab that makes the rest of us jealous, jealous, jealous.

A few years ago I was at a newsstand that had a lot of comics. I picked up an X-Men next generation or something that looked really cool. It was the first issue of that new series, so I've kept it in mint condition. I'm gonna submit it with one of my comics coupons.

Beijim

Did you purchase the comic in the 80's or 90's? If so, it might be on the level of my coins, despite its condition. If it's an X-Men from the 70's, you may have something very valuable. I'm not a Marvel collector, so I'm no expert. but if you PM me the details I'll look it up in my price guide for you. I need exact title, issue # and the date (found in the indicia on page one).

By the way, that state quarter thing sounds cool. 1 of 40? Very cool. Which state?

-- Joanna

By the way, that state quarter thing sounds cool. 1 of 40? Very cool. Which state?

Here's the thread that talks all about it. The photo there shows New York, but I'm not certain they're all New York.

When I have a moment, I'll look up the book details. I did a search on eBay a few months ago and saw one graded in about the same condition for something like thirty or forty bucks, so I'm not gonna retire on it. smirk.gif

Beijim