• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1796 no stars quarter eagle in Heritage sale

8 posts in this topic

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on this coin.

From the image, there appears to be a terribly disfiguring mark around Miss Liberty's eye, which for me would ruin the fun of owning such a cool and historic coin. If the image is accurate, it seems this should bring well below MS money.

As soon as I read the title, I thought of you, and there you were. However, there is no image as far as I can tell.

Heritage has moved to photoing their inventory instead of scanning it, and I can't translate the new material anymore.

Why this coin isn't being offered in a major auction is beyond me though.

Higashiyama,

I agree. There does seen to be something terribly wrong with Miss Liberty's eye. I can’t tell what it is, but it looks like it might be a gouge. Personally I would not buy that coin, as I would never be happy when looking at it.

John

Sorry for missing the source in your title, I had thought you were referencing an image that you were attaching. confused.gif

I agree with Keith in that I cannot really tell what coins look like from Heritage images any more as they are now not scanning all their coins. Consequently, they appear extraordinarily lustrous and, until I win a few lots of theirs that are imaged like this, I really couldn't tell you what I think it will look like. It is strange, though, that the coin is MS60. Do you think there are plenty of hairlines?

I don't really see anything wrong with the coin. It looks as if it has been cleaned but so have most early coins. The coin is graded MS60 not MS67!

I can't get the close-up image to down load on the brouser that I am using. Generally all of the 1796 quarter eagles that I have seen in the low end MS grades have been AU coins. This coin looks like an AU coin to me.

I've seen a couple of AU graded coins for a little less than $100K that were worthwhile. The low end MS graded coins sell for $100K + to $250K, and usually are not worth it IMO.

This is one of the prime type coins in the U.S. series. It's landmark for any collector to acquire one. It's on a par with the 1796-7 half dollar and the king of the type coins, the 1808 quarter eagle. There are are ugly 1796 quarter eagles, but for most collectors, just owning one is a major accomplishtment.