• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Todays find in change...

27 posts in this topic

While looking through our cash box at the store.. I was checking the quarters out and well low and behold a proof Quarter was in there. 1972 S is the date and it looks lightly circulated. While the back has a slighty cameod look. Cool if you ask me laugh.gif Debate away... Book Value on an PF65 is about $1.50

I was surprised to find a 1992-S clad proof quarter in a group of coins a friend had put away and wanted my opinion of its value. It was the most interesting thing I've seen pulled out of circulation in a long time.

I've probably pulled about a dozen proofs from rolls of Kennedy halves over the years, even a proof 1964 once!

My coolest thing in change was a 1982 quarter with about half of the obv. clad layer missing. Nothing too special, but it was cool to look at.

I was at a convienence store yesterday, a young guy came in ask for a pack of cigs, handed the attendant 6 Walkers and 2 Frankies for payment! I ask him if he had anymore, he held out 12 more, 8 Walkers and 4 Frankies, i ask him if i could give him bills for them, he says sure! I then got the others from the attendant. Pretty good haul, 14 Walkers and 6 Frankies for $10. headbang.gifyay.gif

My brother-in-law found an 1853 Gold dollar...I'm not kidding 893whatthe.gif

If it's wrapped in foil it doesn't count. poke2.gif

My brother-in-law found an 1853 Gold dollar...I'm not kidding 893whatthe.gif

GET OUT! That is so COOL!

What bonehead would spend a gold coin?!

Tell your brother-in-law that he should play the lottery too... wink.gif

Hays

BTW Hayden, one of these days I will win one of your coins on eBay!

GET OUT! That is so COOL!

What bonehead would spend a gold coin?!

Tell your brother-in-law that he should play the lottery too... wink.gif

Hays

Like I said I'm not joking,he was in a Hollywood video store waiting in line to rent a few movies,happened to look on the ground and see it.At first he thought it was a sticker or something so he kicked it(ouch! blush.gif) Needless to say,it was the real thing. I remember that he drove over to my house like there was no tomorrow when he found it.I was quite amazed with the find especially since it was high grade,AU-55/58. I ended up selling for him at a show last year and I picked up a sweet ANACS MS-61 at the 06 FUN show for his collection. He works at a bank and he's always finding neat stuff?: older bills,plenty of silver;even an error like Chris' save that it was a Rosie missing the obverse layer.I'll post a picture when it comes back from NGC. I haven't had much luck finding stuff in change myself though,although I did find a 1911-D wheatie that was a F-12 if I recall correctly.

BTW Hayden, one of these days I will win one of your coins on eBay!

Heh,thanks for the bids.I hope you win something too wink.gif

I believe you.

You and your brother both collect?

Who has the better collection?

Hays

Yes,we both do.I got him started over a year ago. He's more into currency and 1900's coins. He's working on a type set right now in addition to a few odds and ends he picks up. I'm into toners and 1800's type. As to who has the better collection,let's just say that he's getting up there wink.gif

Several careers ago, I owned a retail store. One day, the coins I picked up from the local bank contained a couple of modern proof pieces. The next day there were more. This continued for about a week. I asked at the bank about the coins and showed the VP some examples including one with a very nice fingerprint in the field.

About a week later one of the local newspapers carried a small story about a break-in. Among the items stolen were some proofs sets and paper money. I called the police and told them the story of the proof coins from the bank and the one with a clear fingerprint. The officer took the information and that was the last I heard of it.

Several months later, one of the bank tellers showed me some gold notes he had bought from the bank's cash drawer at about the same time the proof coins were showing up.

Back in 1976 I bought my very first whitman folders for lincolns. My father had a store and every saturday I would go through the change looking for wheat pennys, to this day I make sure I look in my change. Over the years I have managed to build, an almost complete set, many in red, from 100 % coins found in circulation: missing 1911S, 1912D, 1913D, 1913S, 1921, 1932, 1935D, 1942S, 1947S . I have found multiple 09SVDB, 14D, and couple of 22 plains, numerous 22 weakD that you need a magnify to see.

My wife asked me the other night why I just don't go out an buy the missing coins. She does not understand the hunt.

I hope CollectingFamily reads this. I have had alot of fun putting this set together, there is nothing better than finding a coin. I was in the fourth grade then, I have upgraded the whitman holders to an nice Dansco album within the last month, so I could see both sides of the coin. I will hopefully complete this set someday.

That is great to find such treasures in change! I'm just afraid we won't know what we are looking at. We keep every single coin that we get back and the girls sit with a magnifying glass and look at them...but we aren't really always sure what we are looking for. We have a great book (the red book), but we only look up the ones that we think look interesting. We have a buffalo nickel booklet that Hays framed for us that we are currently trying to fill. I'm not sure how easy it will be to find them in our change, but we are going to keep on looking. We also have a couple of other booklets that we will start working on as well. Keith got two rolls of pennies at the bank for the girls to look through, but we haven't gotten to them yet. I use to have booklets when I was younger and some were completely full, I'll have to see if I can find them at some point. I know I had a quarter one, dime, and nickel one, but I don't remember the years.

not sure if this counts but late last year my g/f found a large brown coin in a box of LEGO's that was given to her. It was not worn too bad but it looked like it was squeezed on end in a vise which damaged the last dates digit plus has some green paint ? on it. she didnt know what it was but it said one cent on it ... i knew exactly what it was, a Coronet 1st style head ... but looking at my other Coronet cents ..it appears to be a 1828 . many large cents like this one have been thru heck, stamped, holed,, bent, worn...and even Cent turned into another word

well the story goes. it went in the display album and for her find, i had to take her out to eat even though its not worth too much . So check your Legos !!!!!

currently looking thru 35 pounds of pennies the g/f got me to look thru. im thinking if i find something good ...i have take her out to eat ... go figure but this is not the only reason to go out Jeff

I have found multiple 09SVDB, 14D, and couple of 22 plains, numerous 22 weakD that you need a magnify to see.

893whatthe.gifThat is incredible! 893whatthe.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Well, It's well into the vacation season in South Carolina and with all the Canadians coming down to Myrtle Beach ...Voila! Tons of Canadian money showing up in pocket change from convenient stores along the highways . I do not collect world coins , but do have , literally, a small box of odd change from other countries that I routinely cull out of my pocket change ! Last week I got a 1950 Philly wheat cent in I'd say about EF Off I-95 in Dunn , NC and a well worn winged liberty , Mercury, Dime in G/VG (1943P) . I got the merc from a fuel stop in Augusta,Georgia and when I saw it , I asked the clerk to check an see if anymore were in the till , but it was the only one ....Also got a $20 Star note outta an ATM in Lexington, SC and a 2003 Star $1 from a fuel stop in Irving , TX (Dallas/FtWorth) where I stopped to get some coffee.

-John yay.gif

Well, It's well into the vacation season in South Carolina and with all the Canadians coming down to Myrtle Beach ...Voila! Tons of Canadian money showing up in pocket change from convenient stores along the highways . I do not collect world coins , but do have , literally, a small box of odd change from other countries that I routinely cull out of my pocket change ! Last week I got a 1950 Philly wheat cent in I'd say about EF Off I-95 in Dunn , NC and a well worn winged liberty , Mercury, Dime in G/VG (1943P) . I got the merc from a fuel stop in Augusta,Georgia and when I saw it , I asked the clerk to check an see if anymore were in the till , but it was the only one ....Also got a $20 Star note outta an ATM in Lexington, SC and a 2003 Star $1 from a fuel stop in Irving , TX (Dallas/FtWorth) where I stopped to get some coffee.

-John yay.gif

So what brought you to Dallas if I may ask? Star notes are cool smile.gif

I'm in Dallas , actually DFW , every Sunday ...I drive over the road (Truck Driver) and one of my stops is at our DFW terminal . I also go to Philadelphia , PA (Friday nights)Memphis,TN (Thursday mornings) and Jacksonville,FL (Thursday nights) . My home terminal is in Columbia, South Carolina .

I find a star note about once every other week in change and give them to my better half...she likes to hoard these...she snatches them outta my hands and runs off muttering "mine! mine! Ahhh my precious...." and then I don't see her for a while . This makes it easier for me to sneak off and spend a few moments with my coins while I wind down from another week of driving .

That's cool, Coin - I used to live in Columbia too. Ever stop in at that silver store off of Saint Andrews Road, near Irmo? I used to go by there when I was younger and pick around through their coins.

I'm in Dallas , actually DFW , every Sunday ...I drive over the road (Truck Driver) and one of my stops is at our DFW terminal . I also go to Philadelphia , PA (Friday nights)Memphis,TN (Thursday mornings) and Jacksonville,FL (Thursday nights) . My home terminal is in Columbia, South Carolina .

I find a star note about once every other week in change and give them to my better half...she likes to hoard these...she snatches them outta my hands and runs off muttering "mine! mine! Ahhh my precious...." and then I don't see her for a while . This makes it easier for me to sneak off and spend a few moments with my coins while I wind down from another week of driving .

Thats cool ... Good luck in your collecting smile.gif

Hello Pendragon

...actually I have not been to any silver and gold stores . I have often thought about checking a few out just to see if they had any old coins , but figured that most of the gold and silver stores sell stuff at outrageous inflated prices , so the coins -if any- would probably priced way out there . Is this shop on St.Andrews Rd a fair one? If so , I'll check it out. Thanks! smile.gif

I get most NEWPS from the larger coin and currency shows I attend , or from the internet and catalogs ....not to mention pocket change.

I have gone to the one coin shop in West Columbia on HWY 1, Augusta road , but I think that guy, Ron , is about tired of the coin business .

I see ads for one coin store in the upstate- 'Coin Depot' or something , but I think from the wording of their ads that they are 'by appt only' which basically tells me I am not wanted in their store( If I have to go to that much trouble).

Know of any really good coin shops in Georgia that are worth walking into ? I'd be happy to check them out , neighbor ! cool.gif

Thanks , Bruceswar! I have no plans to stop - unless we go to a cashless society where everyone works off of debit/credit cards ....if that ever happens , my collecting /hoarding will probably slow down as coins get melted for their metal content . I have a feeling that I'll not have to worry about that happening anytime soon , anyway.

...I've been through Mesquite a few times on Hwy 80 ! I've stopped at the old TA truckstop (closed now , I think) off Hwy 80 and ? Old Towne road?

....Small world !