• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crime of 1873 - The Comstock Connection by Robert R. Van Ryzin

5 posts in this topic

I was browsing my Morgan searches from eBay when this caught my eye. It sounds like it might be interesting so I ordered it. Has anyone read it?

Chris

If its the book I'm thinking of (and I don't recall too many with that title) then it is a very good book. I think there is a text part and then a date by date of some coins (either CCs or Morgans, I don't remember). The text part is very good, very informative. I used this book as one of my sources for a paper in high school about the US and the gold standard. I didn't realize before reading this book quite how much power silver miners (or for that matter, and relating to the present day issues about the one cent, the metals industry) have over the government. Anyways, very good book and I would recommend that everyone read it.

Hey, Chris. I read it and found it both very fascinating and very boring all at the same time. tongue.gif The history surrounding the Comstock Lode is what interested me the most. It also covers the gov't/mining scam which required the US Gov't to purchase millions of dollars of silver per month to maintain the price of silver at stable levels. Of course, once this was stopped then silver crashed (in the early 1890's).

I think that you will enjoy the book because of your interest in Morgan dollars. It will give reasons for some of the very low mintage Morgans like the 1893.