• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you identify recolored copper?

5 posts in this topic

Looking at a large number of coins might help, but is there any other technical way to identify rocolored coppers? I have never been able to make these out except for the very blatantly colored coppers. Copper also has many colored hues making this extremely difficult. I had some coins BB'ed for recolored coppers while on others I took chance were graded. Any opinions would be very welcome. Thanks.

extremely difficult to answer unless you are at a big specialized show like balty in dec or march then i can show you many recolored coins in persaon sight seen and how to tell them but it is quite an art and takes many years to learn looking at many coins

I'll put it this way. If a copper coin is "properly" recolored, you can't tell. There are quite a few old-time copper guys who know how to do it. I figure that if a coin is recolored and nobody can tell, then it doesn't matter much.

I am not a proponent of this type of coin doctoring, but there are coins out there that have been messed up, and sometimes, the only way to recover them is to strip them down and recolor.

James

I'll put it this way. If a copper coin is "properly" recolored, you can't tell. There are quite a few old-time copper guys who know how to do it. I figure that if a coin is recolored and nobody can tell, then it doesn't matter much.

I am not a proponent of this type of coin doctoring, but there are coins out there that have been messed up, and sometimes, the only way to recover them is to strip them down and recolor.

James

I actually agree with this. 'Tis better than having ugly dogs in the market.

I remember an MS IHC RED in an NGC holder at an ANA Coin Grading Seminar that was recolored. This fact was pointed out by the instructor. It's "tale" was a kind of a pinkish hue to it. Besides that, it was a decent looking coin.