• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And the survey SAYS!

3 posts in this topic

I don't know if anyone else got this, but I received a notice from the Treasury Department today asking if I would like to participate in an online survey about the U.S. Mint. Each recipient is given a username and password to take a "20-minute" survey. So, I said, "What the heck!" It took me about two hours. 27_laughing.gif

First, it asked about my Mint purchases for the last 12 months: silver proof sets, clad proof sets, uncirculated mint sets, bags & rolls, American Eagles, commemoratives, medals and "other items". Then it asked how much I spent. You know, I've never added it together, and I was surprised to learn that I had spent nearly $6,000. But, the funniest part was when I clicked on the "Forward" button to continue, the next page advised me that I was qualified to participate in the survey. Do you think I would have been rejected if I only bought one of each?

Now, we got to the "meat & potatoes" of the questionnaire. It was mostly the routine garbage you see like, "From 1-6, check "1" if you hate it and "6" if you hate it but can't afford the alimony" , but there were a few subjects that were worthy of a considered response and you actually got to fill in the lines. For example:

1) I stated that the public would be better served if e-mail notification of items shipped would be received before the package was delivered to the door (You're not the only one, Hoot!). At least then you would be expecting it.

2) When I got to the question about the "Customer Awareness Website", I asked, "What Customer Awareness? If you really cared, you would provide an online, open forum where everyday collectors could express their opinions and complaints." As an afterthought, maybe I should have said that it should be manned by some of our Congressional Representatives. Like Social Security, if they had to participate it would surely be fixed.

3) I went on to say that the new Presidential Dollar will be a waste if it is made of the same composition as the Sacagawea Dollar because it has a tendency to turn an ugly, greenish-brown. I also added that the dollar coin should be larger than the half dollar.

4) I complained that it wasn't fair that some dealers should get a discount for bulk purchases when a limit is placed on individual purchases. Why should the public be forced to buy from a dealer at inflated prices when an item is SOLD OUT before some collectors can order it from the Mint.

5) Finally, I raised the issue about the Uncirculated Silver American Eagle. I know that the Mint is plannig to sell it to the public, but it will only be as a 2-coin and 3-coin set. It isn't right that collectors who want only the uncirculated bullion coin are forced to buy other coins that they may, or may not, want, but a select few bullion dealers can have their cake and eat it too!

Anyway, I got the chance to express my opinions. I even stated that I didn't know if I entered them in the correct place, but if I let page after page go by, I may not get a chance to say anything at the end of the questinonaire. I only have one cause for concern. The closing page indicated that if they needed any additional information, they may contact me. I just hope it isn't the IRS or the CIA.

Chris