• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a bunch of BS!

7 posts in this topic

I waited like a week to bid on a coin in the Ira and Larry Goldberg auction and somehow I screwed up. As the lot neared to bidding, I had signed in to bid a couple of times and was congratulated and it said I was ready to bid but when I tried to bid it asked me again for my user name and password. 893frustrated.gif

Man, this really insane.gif the big one!!!

Leo

I waited like a week to bid on a coin in the Ira and Larry Goldberg auction and somehow I screwed up. As the lot neared to bidding, I had signed in to bid a couple of times and was congratulated and it said I was ready to bid but when I tried to bid it asked me again for my user name and password. 893frustrated.gif

Man, this really insane.gif the big one!!!

Leo

Well folks, here what happened.

On this page it says to "View live now" That's what I clicked on and then the next page asked me to sign in which went to an ebay page of some sort.

What I should have done is read a little further and clicked on the "Bid now option"

That next page is where I should have been and so life's a person_without_enough_empathyh! Oh well, I'll get them next time.

Leo

What you need to view a live auction!

Get ready to enter the auction floor! A new window will pop up on your screen where you will be able to view a live auction.

Catalog: Ira & Larry Goldberg Coins and Collectibles

Auction Date: May-27-03 12:00:00 PDT

Seller: Goldberg Coin

View Live Now

If you have already signed up for this auction, you can also place live bids. To do so, you need to use the " Bid Now" option.

System Requirements for Live Bidding

To ensure that your Internet bid is instantly communicated to the auction house floor while the auction is going on, Live Auctions use first-class Internet technology. Check below to see if your PC or Mac meets the minimum system configuration requirements for live bidding.

Leo,

If it makes you feel any better (not that it will wink.gif ), but most people have said that they have an extremely hard time bidding live with E-Bay anyway, so even if you got logged in, it might not have helped.

I feel for you.

I bid at that auction but I did it through absentee bidding.

You can see my experiences with Goldberg's in a thread I left called 'internet bidding' or something like that.

Absentee bidding gives you the assurance that if you can't make the bid live, it will be done for you. So, in the future, should you want to bid like that again, this is something to consider.

Look, I phoned my credit card company today. I got their answering service, as usual, typed in the numbers and then got all the choices read off to me: 1 ...., 2..., etc...but for some reason, it automatically clicked me into mailboxes that I did not punch on the telephone keyboard. This just confirms my anxiety about going live on the internet to bid at an auction. Suppose somehow, your computer sends a return when you didn't press the key, or perhaps you leaned on the keyboard or whatever. Scares the hell out of me.

A couple of weeks ago I bid for a coin on an e-bay auction. Actually, I offered the buy it now price. The seller had listed the buy it now price in his description, but there was no place to click to do this, so I used the buy it now price as my bid. Nothing happened other than a bid being entered, so I emailed this guy, and he answered me, and told me someone else had bid before me, and that did away with the buy it now option.

That was depressing, and there were 4 more days left for the auction, so I checked it out every now and then, and there were no bidders after me.

The night the auction was supposed to close, seven minutes before it was over, I checked it out, and I was still the high bidder. Assuming that the coin was mine, I went to do something else and within that time frame, I was outbid by a lousy $25.00.

Let me tell you, that coin was important to me dammit!

But whattayagonnado?

Some people say that everything happens for a reason. Maybe, if you had logged on correctly, you would have sneezed at the wrong time and hit the enter button and ended up bidding on a 30,000.00 coin you didn't want.

893whatthe.gif

Leo,

If it makes you feel any better (not that it will wink.gif ), but most people have said that they have an extremely hard time bidding live with E-Bay anyway, so even if you got logged in, it might not have helped.

Thanks Keith

I screwed up but I really don't do alot of internet bidding. Maybe I need to get out more. Get this, afterwards, we sat down for some dinner and I'm arguing with my

240 lb (football player) 15 year old son about taking his sister's fan. As usual, he has an answer for everything and I'm telling him to not take things that don't belong to him and to stop worrying about everyone else. The next thing I know the glass of grape juice slips out of my hand and lands in my lap. I'm not mad and everyone's laughing and now I'm telling my son to hurry and get the dish rag before the juice soaks in and makes my thingy purple and there's more laughter. So now, after the bath, maybe a better FS 54-D will show up in the near future. After some 12+ years, I guess I'll haft to wait a little while longer.

Leo

Absentee bidding gives you the assurance that if you can't make the bid live, it will be done for you. So, in the future, should you want to bid like that again, this is something to consider.

Suppose somehow, your computer sends a return when you didn't press the key, or perhaps you leaned on the keyboard or whatever. Scares the hell out of me.

That was depressing, and there were 4 more days left for the auction, so I checked it out every now and then, and there were no bidders after me.

The night the auction was supposed to close, seven minutes before it was over, I checked it out, and I was still the high bidder. Assuming that the coin was mine, I went to do something else and within that time frame, I was outbid by a lousy $25.00.

Let me tell you, that coin was important to me dammit!

But whattayagonnado?

893whatthe.gif

Hi Mike

I'm don't trust the absentee bidding as I think that that's the bid they'll start with.

I started to worry that myself as I was frantically clicking numerous buttons. I started to think that I'm probably bidding and I don't know it so I went and checked my email.

There were 12 bids on that FS 54-D Jefferson, I'm wondering who was on the floor

bidding for that nickel. It closed out at $120 and I know I would have went higher.

Leo

I'm don't trust the absentee bidding as I think that that's the bid they'll start with.

Indeed.

The way it works is this. Before the auction begins, they process all the absentee bids for a lot to determine which one prevails. There will be only one, as either it will be the highest maximum or it will tie with one or more other absentee bids but be the earliest submitted. The actual initial dollar value of the highest absentee bid will be that of the second highest absentee bid, plus one bid increment.

When the corresponding lot opens, this highest initial absentee bid is submitted to the auctioneer. If there are no other bids, the absentee bid wins outright. Otherwise, the system generates and submits to the auctioneer successive counter bids up to and including (but not over) the maximum specified by the highest absentee bidder.

The ace in the hole is this: no one knows, without bidding against it to find out, the actual maximum value of the highest absentee bid. In that regard, though the highest absentee bid essentially sets a "reserve" of sorts (from the perspective of competing bidders) at the lot's opening, its hidden maximum value keeps other bidders guessing just as they would with any other bidder.

I guess the best thing about absentee bids is that they remove some of the emotion from the buying decision. You give it your best shot in the cold light of reflection and let it ride! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Beijim