• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Improper Storage of Gem Proof Copper Coins (with Images)

150 posts in this topic

Does anyone else find it sad when you run across improperly stored 19th century proof copper coins and they end up turning funky colors like vibrant blues and wild reds that just scream off the superb gem surfaces? I know it pains me to look at these coins with all their color. I couldn't even bear to image the matte proof or the other late date Indians...

1868.jpg

1871.jpg

2c.jpg' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>.jpg'>

devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

I feel sick and sorry for those coins. I could give them a good home where they would suffer no more abuse, Greg... flowerred.gif please send immediately. I have a nice 2 cent piece that would be a good mate for the one you've so embarrassingly shown. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hoot

the way you photoed the coin... Makes them look 3d which is cool... Nice pics and nice coins smile.gif I know its the tilt to get the color. Cool smile.gif

You know that brillo pads are good for more things than just smoking crack?! screwy.gif

Scrub them suckers up nice and bright and all hairliney like any decent collectors would do. 893whatthe.gif

Anyone else notice how Tom and Dave haven't responded to the pictures in Greg's post? This pretense of disinterest fools no one, although it is mildly amusing. Let's get ready to RRRRUUUUUUUUUMBLE!

Does anyone else find it sad when you run across improperly stored 19th century proof copper coins and they end up turning funky colors like vibrant blues and wild reds that just scream off the superb gem surfaces? I know it pains me to look at these coins with all their color. I couldn't even bear to image the matte proof or the other late date Indians...

1868.jpg

1871.jpg

Oh man that SUCKS! I'd hate to see a fellow member stuck with improperly stored coins, I would be happy to take them off your hands for you. grin.gif

Hays

Anyone else notice how Tom and Dave haven't responded to the pictures in Greg's post? This pretense of disinterest fools no one, although it is mildly amusing. Let's get ready to RRRRUUUUUUUUUMBLE!

Some of us have lives, you know. smile.gifwink.gif

Greg...just let me know when they come back from NGC. 893crossfingers-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Some of us have lives, you know.

Translation: "My wife banned me from the computer." grin.gifwink.gif

Translation of translation: "My wife loves me so she bought me a laptop. Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah!"

Chris

Greg...just let me know when they come back from NGC. 893crossfingers-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

They're already back. smile.gif

1868 graded PF66RB

1871 graded PF66BN

1866 2c graded PF66BN Cameo.

Cool coins! Are you going to try to cross them to PCGS?

893whatthe.gif

Um, no. If I wanted them in PCGS slabs I'd have sent them there first. I do think they would grade the same at PCGS. The 1868 is very solid and the 1871 is really nice and I was expecting a PF67.

Wow, very nice thumbsup2.gif

Didn't know you also collect coins other than commems.

I hope to see your improperly storaged commems, too cloud9.gif

Greg likes coins that sell for good money! hehe. No but really he has shown some monsters here, such as his avatar... sweet coin laugh.gif

We all know that toning is corrosion, so I feel sorry for your corroded coins.

Too bad they're not aesthetically enhanced (like chopmarked trade dollars). insane.gif

1868.jpg

1871.jpg

This is going to be like the next witch hunt... or Commie hunt. This is going to get very ugly. The fallout will be huge if you ask me. Only time will tell

aint shocking to me at all

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i wonder who informed that coinguy one guy who started that controversal but truthful thread on the pcgs boards

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

aint shocking to me at all

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i wonder who informed that coinguy one guy who started that controversal but truthful thread on the pcgs boards

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Enlighten the rest of us....