• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about an improperly cleaned coin.

3 posts in this topic

I submitted to NGC for grading, a 1909 S VDB that was handed down in my family. The status board says that it was improperly cleaned. What does this exactly mean and what should I look for on the 1909 S VDB or other coins so that I do not buy a coin that has been improperly cleaned?

thanks

Coins that have surface problems such as an improper cleaning that will prevent them from certification with NGC can be encapsulated with NCS Details Grade of Genuine holders. Coin submitted for NCS encapsulation will be authenticated and then encapsulated with a grade of the details--a grade of the coin not considering the surface problem. This may be a valuable service for coins that are known to exist with counterfeit or altered examples such as the 1909 S VDB 1C or other key date pieces. It may also be a valuable service if your other coins are NGC certified as NCS holders are the same dimensions as those NGC holders.

For more information on NCS encapsulation services visit the NCS website at www.ncscoin.com or contact NCS customer services at 866-627-2646 or ncshelp@ncscoin.com.

Chris, NCS