• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It is getting really ugly out there

5 posts in this topic

If you get nothing else from this post, never buy anything sight-unseen, and always have a second pair of eyes look at a coin before you buy it.

I was looking for a supergrade Seated Quarter W / Motto for my type set, as prices for this series in these grades have been soft for the last few years. I saw a very pretty one in a 7 holder. Super nice toning, and the coin was original. One of the majors slabbed it as a 7, even though it had a sizeable hit running along Miss Liberty's upper jawline & a tick mark on the lower jaw. It also had a noticeable hit on Miss Liberty's upper arm. I'd expect these kind of hits for a this coin in 3 or maybe 4. Yes, this coin was in a 7 holder. With the beautiful toning, I could see it getting bumped up to a 5; that's it. I'll bet some boludo paid 7 money for it.

A friend looked at a few lots for me and pointed out that an otherwise beautiful white coin slabbed by one of the majors in a 6 holder was doctored. Miss Liberty's breasts had a rougher surface than the rest of the obverse. You had to specifically look for this & look very hard to notice. I would have missed it if he didn't point it out to me. The grading service missed it, and so will many people who look at the coin. I believe this coin will be considered "market acceptable," even though it has been doctored.

Caveat Emptor.

If you get nothing else from this post, never buy anything sight-unseen, and always have a second pair of eyes look at a coin before you buy it.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I got two things from your post:

1. Sight-seen, expert viewing of coins is highly recommended.

2. Your friend is a lech for staring at Miss Lib's breasts... laugh.gif

Steve

I guess we should just be thankful he wasn't looking for a nice Type 1 SLQ. shocked.gif