• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IS IT ME, OR.........................

15 posts in this topic

did I just get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I'm getting a little weary of the eBay sellers that quote an MS67 or MS68 value for a Morgan $ when they are listing an MS63/64 coin (even lower grades at times). This appears to be snow-balling and more and more sellers are doing it. I wish eBay would put a stop to it. Does this practice bother anyone else, or is it just me?

Chris

It's not you....alone. I've been irratated by the one that post VG & F Walkers last week and stated that at MS69 the value of this coin is $nn,nnn. And, that was in the title line!

I simply refuse to bid on any that try to be cute/evasive/tricky or %^&*%$#(regardless of price)

Regis

Yup. That's the kind of noise and nonsense that keeps me OFF of eBay as a buyer for the most part. I just can't justify the time and annoyance of plowing through the cesspool of garbage listings, including those like what you mention. I'd rather just pay 20% more to a dealer and be done with it.

Time is valuable!

James

I'd rather just pay 20% more to a dealer and be done with it. James

Which reminds me, James, are you still using those beautifully, Kraft-toned Morgans as educational tools? devil.gif

How about showing the pictures once again? I haven't drooled on my keyboard for awhile.

Chris

I always get a kick out of dealers like: Pop's Jefferson Nickels, all uncertified MS68 (worth $6,000. retail). Buy for only $29.95 from Pop, "honest dealer".

Chris----- Yes, it bothers me that people have become sooooo dishonest. But, you are mostly helpless to prevent it. So, you compensate for it by knowing how they list their stuff----and then pass right by on your way down the page. Believe it or not, you can get sooooo good at it that you rarely will waste your time on them. As to the general overgrading of coins-----you must educate yourself to be able to see the decent coins. You cannot allow yourself to be fooled by those who overgrade. You must be as smart as they are and know what the real grade truly is for each individual coin. Then you can mostly ignore the hype that a seller might put forth. Bob [supertooth]

Woha...see how they show the side of coin tongue.gif Really treating like they have knowledge to grade AU 27_laughing.gif or, in their case, AU = Awefull Ugly

And I like this part of the description:

You are bidding on a 1775 Spanish Mexican #4 Real Silver Coin. This is possibly one of the last of its kind on earth.

2Kopeiki

He should have called it an UNC! Then we would know he's lying, because the way he's fingering up that coin in the picture is enough to negate any uncirculated grade!

893whatthe.gif

You'd think he'd be more careful with the last one known on earh, too! screwy.gif

did I just get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I'm getting a little weary of the eBay sellers that quote an MS67 or MS68 value for a Morgan $ when they are listing an MS63/64 coin (even lower grades at times). This appears to be snow-balling and more and more sellers are doing it. I wish eBay would put a stop to it. Does this practice bother anyone else, or is it just me?

Chris

This also gets to me at times..., but I just move on and keep on looking..

Now, in reading through this listing for the AU(????) 4-reale, I really do think this guy just doesn't know what the heck he's doing. He really does come across to me as being a coin novice, based on him holding the coin improperly, and claiming to be a fine art dealer. It honestly doesn't bother me when somebody just isn't knowledgeable in grading.

But what I can't stand is someone who obviously has plenty of experience, and even deals a lot of slabs, yet STILL overgrades drastically and insultingly.

James

QUOTE: "But what I can't stand is someone who obviously has plenty of experience, and even deals a lot of slabs, yet STILL overgrades drastically and insultingly."

James, You hit the nail sqaure on the head! makepoint.gif

Regis

Now, in reading through this listing for the AU(????) 4-reale, I really do think this guy just doesn't know what the heck he's doing. He really does come across to me as being a coin novice, based on him holding the coin improperly, and claiming to be a fine art dealer. It honestly doesn't bother me when somebody just isn't knowledgeable in grading.

But what I can't stand is someone who obviously has plenty of experience, and even deals a lot of slabs, yet STILL overgrades drastically and insultingly.

James

Besides that, he needs a manicure.

Chris

James

EXCELLENT post James! 893applaud-thumb.gif